Seeking Information on Grandmother Domenica Maria Vaccaro

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Seeking Information on Grandmother Domenica Maria Vaccar

Post by montclaire »

Also, Vito was my cousin's god father (still living).
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

If you have a death date why not try to find an obituary. I've had a good response using ask a librarian online. Most libraries have a link to ask a question or some way to contact them. I request an obit look-up and always offer to pay for research, postage and photo copies. Most often there is no charge or a very reasonable charge. I'll bet it mentions when she came, her parents and siblings. Good Luck.
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

Do you have any data on your grandmother's brother Vito. Birth, Death, Immigration. Could your grandmother traveled with her brother to US? Any info for Vito could bring to the information you want for your grandmother too.
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

I don't read Italian but there is a Vitantonio Summa b. 14 Feb 1898 which matches a WWI record of a Vito Summo in Port Chester born on the same date in Avigliano.

Atti di Nascita #108 image 27 of 282
http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/view. ... sid=&gskw=

which looks to be born on the correct date. If this is Domenica Maria's brother then these would also be her parents too and the mother of Vito is also Domenica Maria but would need someone to translate to be sure. Hope this helps. Eileen
Kenzo95

Re: Seeking Information on Grandmother Domenica Maria Vaccaro

Post by Kenzo95 »

Hello I realize this post is several years old but I to and from Port Chester New York and maybe even know you. My mother Lucille Santora is cousins with Nettie and Mae Who last we knew lived on Orchard Street. I have been looking for information on my mother's parents and grandparents home she remembers obviously but I did not as they pass before I was born. I do know that my mother is related to the Carlucci and the Summa's maybe thru marriage .. and I do know that my grandparents were born in avigliano Italy in 1898 and 1900?
I feel the world is SO small. My mom - the Santora's
We're also raised on Beech St above the tailors and then on Olivia later on. Where do I start to find all this info? I want to travel to Italy to see their birth place and history. Thank you if ANYONE reads this !! I know my grandpa was Salvatore santora he was one of like 9 and my grandmother was mary Gertrude (Mancuso) santora. I also know that when they arrived in port chester and when Bc were filed for my mom and kids the Italian accent through off a lot of spellings and pronunciation. Thx so much melissa
parkergambino
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Seeking Information on Grandmother Domenica Maria Vaccaro

Post by parkergambino »

What a fascinating and rewarding thread to follow!

My antennae began to twitch a bit when I saw Port Chester/Greenwich. My aunt Santa Gambino, married to Francesco (Cice) Leta lived in both places, for a while on Water Street in Greenwich, ultimately at 59 South Regent Street in Port Chester for many years (a side-by-side duplex, I'll have to check who occupied the other side). Their daughter Sadie married a Christiana; she still resides nearby me in Putnam County NY. I will ask her about any reminiscences of the names in this thread; there are so many!! And any reciprocal reminiscences of her or her (deceased) brother Angelo would be appreciated.

For the record, when looking up street names, Greenwich currently has a "Beech Street" (named after the tree) near to Port Chester, and a "Sound Beach Avenue" (named after the sandy place) quite a bit further east, in the Old Greenwich neighborhood.

Parker