Where were people buried in Jersey City....

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
15 posts • Page 1 of 1

Where were people buried in Jersey City....

Postby DeFilippis78 » 06 Nov 2010, 18:08

I have one branch of my family that is mainly buried in a cemetery in Jersey City. I found out there were children that died in this same family in the late 1800s. I called the cemetery and they said there is no record of the children being there. This bothers me. If immigrants were new here and children died, where did they bury them? Paupers graves? Unmarked? Im looking specifically for people who know Jersey City well because thats where they would be buried....somewhere. Im just disturbed there are children buried in my family that are"missing" Its not listed on their DC either.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: Where were people buried in Jersey City....

Postby eyetalgal » 06 Nov 2010, 23:14

there are several cemeteries in Jersey City...St. Peters, Holy Name, Woodlawn, Bayview......etc

have you tried FINDAGRAVE ... they list the names and locations of cemeteries ... may even have the individuals you're looking for
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DeFilippis78 » 07 Nov 2010, 01:28

Find a grave and other sites like that are names and locations submitted by family I believe. No one knows these children exist but me. Living relatives didnt even know.So no one would be submitting a name and location.There was a location found in JC a few years back , that was a huge paupers grave along side the highway. Just peoples bones were there, no headstones or names.
My concern is why they arent with the rest of the family. And when immigrants came here they had no money so many had the option of only a paupers grave. If thats the case ill never know.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby eyetalgal » 07 Nov 2010, 01:53

there are many people, unrelated to the deceased, who submit names and grave locations to findagrave. When I visit a cemetery I copy the information of as many gravesites as I can and submit the info to the website so people can locate lost relatives.

My grandparents are buried in a grave that lists only their names but when I checked the grave at the cemetery office I was able to confirm that there are 3 children buried with them. Had I looked for the children's names in the records I would not have found them, but because I looked for my grandfather's grave information I was able to find that 2 of my grandparents children who had died in infancy and a child of my grandmother's friend, also an infrant, were all buried together.

Those you seek may well have been buried in a pauper's field but I would check the local churches to see if there was a funeral mass, that is, if they were Catholic/Christian.

Just suggestions..................
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DeFilippis78 » 07 Nov 2010, 02:06

I thought about the children being buried with the parents. I emailed the cemetery and they said they didnt have those names listed as being interred there. Is there another way the cemetery could look into? One child was not named, just listed as boy. Im wondering how the cemetery would list a child without a name and if he really is with the parents. Any suggestions?
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby eyetalgal » 07 Nov 2010, 02:20

the burials I've seen list the unnamed child simply as 'infant', this includes stillborns.

My only suggestion is the local churches. This is the resource I used. I requested a search and made a small donation and have been successful in several instances. I wish you the same success.
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DeFilippis78 » 07 Nov 2010, 03:00

I will try that route then. So you just call the church and ask if they have a death record or a funeral record?
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby eyetalgal » 07 Nov 2010, 03:14

DeFilippis78 wrote:I will try that route then. So you just call the church and ask if they have a death record or a funeral record?
I wrote to the church and included a check. Heard back in 1-2 weeks. The person who searched for me was the pastor's secretary.
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DeFilippis78 » 07 Nov 2010, 03:15

Awesome! Ill try. Thanks for the tips :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby JPMessina44 » 07 Nov 2010, 06:26

Holy Name is the largest, catholic graveyard in JC...I think there's some 300K people buried there.

This may help you, it isn't a complete list, but may be a good jumping off point:

http://www. interment . net/data/us/nj/hudson/holyname/holyname.htm

Good luck in your search!!
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DeFilippis78 » 07 Nov 2010, 14:40

Holy Name is where the whole family is buried. But they dont have records of any other people being buried there. But then again, as the person listed above, they dont usually file infants or stillborns with a name. But even so, if there was an infant there Im assuming they would have told me. At least I hope they would have.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 07 Nov 2010, 14:42

Actually something just dawned on me. These are children that died while my GGF was with his second wife. Obviously she had died and thats why he married my GGM. So if I can find where the mother of these children are, I should be able to find the children. But that wife also died in JC. All I know is they are somewhere in JC.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby ddevirgilio » 08 Nov 2010, 20:14

Have you considered reaching out to the Hudson County Genealogical Society? I'm a member, and although I am no expert on Jersey City cemeteries, there are members of the society who are very familiar with them.
ddevirgilio
Rookie
Rookie

Postby DeFilippis78 » 08 Nov 2010, 20:20

No I havent. But thank you very much for the link. I will contact them :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby Andrea Lew » 19 Apr 2013, 00:55

Hi, the 'thousands of bodies dumped on the side of the highway' are not in Jersey City. Contrary to popular belief, we here in Jersey City don't treat our dead that way. The location of those unmarked graves, thousands of them, is in Secaucus, NJ, on Snake Hill. They all received a proper burial, they just don't have headstones. The Turnpike Authority was moving over 2000 of them to various cemeteries in Hudson County. There are very well kept records of who was buried there. Perhaps you can find your relatives there. Good luck, I hope you find them.
Andrea Lew

15 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy