Is there an Italian custom of using given names?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mdvukas
Rookie
Rookie

Is there an Italian custom of using given names?

Postby mdvukas » 07 Nov 2010, 23:34

I have been coming across a number of relatives that were called by their middle names and not their given name. Has anyone else come accross this ? Could it be some sort of Catholic religious custom?

Ex: Florentina Theresa Spino but went by and was called "Theresa"

I have many examples of this in my family.

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Is there an Italian custom of using given names?

Postby misbris » 07 Nov 2010, 23:48

Just a thought

If many cousins are named after the paternal or maternal grandparents, use of a middle name may help distinguish them from each other.

(Especially if they are close in age)

mdvukas
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mdvukas » 07 Nov 2010, 23:59

I've not come across the multiple same name cousin thing but I do have alot of examples of this. It can get confusing in record searches.

I've only gathered records from US sources so far. I'm thinking about trying to send for a few from Italy but I not sure what first name to use. I know that women in Italy keep their maiden names and are buried under their maiden names but I wanted to know if there was something about the given name?

c6mitchell
Rookie
Rookie

Postby c6mitchell » 08 Nov 2010, 00:34

http://italianfamilysearch.com/given_na ... tions.html

This website gives an explanation. I am sure there are others out there.

In my family most of my aunts and uncles had a given name and were called another nickname for the rest of their lives. Confusing! On one side of my family, my grandfather (who died young) was Giuseppe and I believe there were 10 or 12 of his children/grandchildren named Joseph either first or middle name. Also had an infant die and the next son was given the same name.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”