Was divorce common?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Was divorce common?

Postby DeFilippis78 » 09 Nov 2010, 18:52

My GGF was married before he came over here. But I dont know what happened to his first wife. She never came over here and he married my GGM anyhow. I am requesting a DC for his first wife but I was wondering about divorce. Was it common in the late 1800s and if they were divorced before he came here, how would I get papers proving it for the consulate?My concern is on his BC his first wife is listed and Im assuming that will be a problem unless I can prove she died or they were divorced. Any tips?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Was divorce common?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 09 Nov 2010, 19:14

Divorce has only been legal in Italy since 1970. I am pretty certain that prior to that date, you either had to get your marriage annulled or you had your spouse declared dead - probably not too difficult if he went overseas and "was never heard from again."
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 09 Nov 2010, 19:20

Oh, I see. So when I see people mention on this board divorce papers they mean American? So the only way I can remedy this is by getting a DC for the first wife right? The other issue is there is no record of my GGF and GGM marrying here. Ive contacted the state, the county and even hired 2 genealogist and they cant find a record. They told me back then (around 1905) It wasnt required to file a marriage with the state and some times it stayed at church level only.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 10 Nov 2010, 00:55

I have researched several families where the man who emigrated lived a double life having a wife and children in both countries. Your first clue is if the marriage in the USA was civil only. You can be sure a good Catholic would not try to remarry in the church. Also if he never went to mass since he would be technically sinning if he did under these circumstances. He might even have changed his religion.
Don't waste your time with a death cert. order her birth record. It should give both her marriage and death dates.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 10 Nov 2010, 02:03

I just sent an email earlier looking for the death certificate. I didnt know a birth certificate would have death listed on it as well! Im afraid to send them another email. They can get temperamental and not send me anything :)

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 27 Nov 2010, 17:33

Heres an update...the comune got back to me about the first wife and said they have no record of her death but only her birth. So now what? I dont know what happened to the first wife. Obviously she didnt die in the comune my GGF is from. So did he leave her? And she stayed behind and moved on to another town? I know she didnt come here. What will the consulate say when they see this women on my GGF BC and I have nothing to prove what ever happened to her

Return to “Italian Genealogy”