Fierro/Costello/Castello/Castiello From Tavenna, Campobasso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Fierro/Costello/Castello/Castiello From Tavenna, Campobasso

Postby TriciaFierro » 11 Nov 2010, 01:56

Hello!
I am searching for information on my great-grandparents Domenico and Margaret Fierro. I have Domenico's ship manifest and he came over to America on the Luisiana in 1909. The manifest notes that he was born in Tavenna, Campobasso in 1882 (I have other docs that confirm his birthdate as well). I can find no ship manifest on Margaret (also noted on some docs as Marguerita and Margarite) and the three children she would have brought with her that were born in Italy, Mary (b 1904), Nicholas (born 1905) and Philip (b 1907). They must have settled at first in New Jersey because a 1920 census notes their 4th child Jennie as being born there. They settled in Pennsylvania and had their 5th child Annie, their 6th child Josephine and their 7th child, my granfather Paul all by 1920. They went on to have two more children, Violet and Arthur. They lived out the remaining of their days in Pennsylvania as did all 9 of their children. The Reading, Pennsylvania areato be exact. Any information you may have that can assist in my research is greatly appreciated. I have other family names that I am researching but I will send them in separate posts to avoid confusion. thank you! :lol:
- Tricia Fierro

vj
Master
Master

Re: Fierro/Costello/Castello/Castiello From Tavenna, Campoba

Postby vj » 11 Nov 2010, 20:36

Tricia
Welcome to the Forum!
Here's a possible manifest
Valarie

9 May 1912
SS Madonna
Naples to NY
lines 17-20

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0019

page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0019

TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Postby TriciaFierro » 11 Nov 2010, 21:58

Valarie,
I cannot believe the irony of this post from you because I just todat spent some time at a local Family History Center and located this same manifest with Margaret going by Marguerita Castiello! And the Maria, Nicoli and Felice children that were with her match the aunt and uncles I knew as Mary, Nicholas and Philip!!! I was so excited to have found this and it even notes that she was coming to be with her husband Domenico Fierro and underneath that I can see part of the name of a town in NJ which is where they had their 4th child before settling in Pennsylvania. Now I am going to spend some time trying to decipher the Italian towns noted as last residence and birth places on the manifest. It is so difficult to read! :)
Thank you so very much and since one of her daughter's obituaries noted Margaret's maiden name as Castiello that's the name I'll search for now in Italy as her decendents and see what I can come up with. I visited the cemetary where she and Domenico and their children are buried and the office emplyee is going to pull all of their obituaries for me so that may prove helpful as well.
Thanks again for the help and the warm welcome. I just love this research so much!
- Tricia
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 11 Nov 2010, 22:40

Tricia,
Thank you for the update :D
I'm so glad we could help confirm your manifest find
Valarie

The last residence may be Montecalvo Irpino (Montecalvo Irpino, Province of Avellino, Region Campania), also where the 3 children were born
This is abt 155km (3 hrs) south of Tavenna...

TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Postby TriciaFierro » 13 Nov 2010, 15:47

Valarie,
Thank you for the info regarding the last residence. This will be so helpful in my research. Just to clarify though are you saying that it looks like both the last residence AND where the children were born is Montecalvo Irpino? Thank you again!
- Tricia
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella

TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Postby TriciaFierro » 13 Nov 2010, 15:49

Also Valarie, the town of Tavenna was found on my grandfather's manifest as his birth place so it may not have been where the Castiello family was from. Thank you!
Tricia Fierro

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 13 Nov 2010, 15:57

TriciaFierro wrote:Also Valarie, the town of Tavenna was found on my grandfather's manifest as his birth place so it may not have been where the Castiello family was from. Thank you!

Margarita's manifest states that she is leaving her sister Maria Castiello in Montecalvo Irpino. That is probably where the Castiello family is from. :-)

(Hi Valarie :-) )

T.

TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Postby TriciaFierro » 13 Nov 2010, 16:06

You are awesome Tessa! I couldn't figure out if that said mother or sister for Maria Castiello. Thank you, thank you!!! :)
- Tricia
Tricia Fierro

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 13 Nov 2010, 16:16

TriciaFierro wrote:You are awesome Tessa! I couldn't figure out if that said mother or sister for Maria Castiello. Thank you, thank you!!! :)
- Tricia

FYI - If is was her mother, the surname wouldn't be Castiello, it would be the mother's maiden name :-D

T.

TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Postby TriciaFierro » 13 Nov 2010, 16:23

That is true...ha...I didn't think about that. Sometimes the obvious eludes me..lol! Is it odd that my great-grandmother's name on the manifest was her maiden name or was that common practice? The children are noted as Fierro and it notes that she was meeting her husband Domenico Fierro but her surname is noted with her maiden name. Every answer leads to another mystery and that's part of the joy of this research! :)
- Tricia
Tricia Fierro

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 13 Nov 2010, 16:32

Hi Tricia,

Looked at your manifest (Luisiana, April 1909) for Domenico.
It states that he is single, leaving "no one" in the country from which he came, and that he is headed for New Haven, Conn. to cousin Antoni Scxxx(?)
Does this make sense to you? Are you sure this is his manifest?
Wouldn't he have a wife in Italy in 1909? (and of course, 3 children)

Page 1
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... exe%3FT%3D\\\\192.168.100.11\\images\\T715-1234\\T715-12340615.TIF%26S%3D.5&pID=105289011379&name=Domenico%26nbsp%3BFierro&doa=Apr+05%2C+1909&port=Naples&line=0015

Page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... exe%3FT%3D\\\\192.168.100.11\\images\\T715-1234\\T715-12340616.TIF%26S%3D.5&pID=105289011379&name=Domenico%26nbsp%3BFierro&doa=Apr+05%2C+1909&port=Naples&line=0015

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 13 Nov 2010, 16:33

TriciaFierro wrote:That is true...ha...I didn't think about that. Sometimes the obvious eludes me..lol! Is it odd that my great-grandmother's name on the manifest was her maiden name or was that common practice? The children are noted as Fierro and it notes that she was meeting her husband Domenico Fierro but her surname is noted with her maiden name. Every answer leads to another mystery and that's part of the joy of this research! :)
- Tricia

Women kept their maiden names throughout their lives :-)

T.

TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Postby TriciaFierro » 13 Nov 2010, 16:53

Hmmmmm, let me check something and get back to you because I questioned why he was here in 1909 and she didn't come with the children until 1912. However, I have a 1920 census that notes he arrived in 1907 and she in 1909. I don't believe that they were fluent in English though so that may have been the mistake on the census. I know her manifest is the correct one because her children's obits noted her maiden name and several of Domenico's documents note her name as having been Marguerita. the children's names having beem Mary, Nicholas and Philip in the states make sense as having been Maria, Nicoli and Felice in Italy. I just noticed that in the town of Montecalvo Irpino the patron saint is Saint Felice :)

To add to the mystery, family folklore told to me by my grandmother was that Domenico "kidnapped" Marguerita because she didn't want to come to the states. Ha! I'm sure that's an exaggeration but that's the story she told.

I'm going to check some other manifests for Domenico and see if I find something different that what I have which to your point might very well be incorrect. He was however born in 1882. I'll keep you posted. thank you!
- Tricia
Tricia Fierro

TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Postby TriciaFierro » 14 Nov 2010, 07:54

OK, here is something very strange that I came across while searching for a possible different manifest for Domenico Fierro. When perusing the Immigrations to Philadelphia, PA I found a Filomena Fierro that came to Philadelphia on Sept 14, 1923 on the ship America from Napoli. It notes her as single but traveling with her sister Terese and brother Giovanni Guarini?? It has her final destination as Reading, PA which is where my great-grandfather Domenico resided in 1923. Where it notes address and name of relative staying with it says parents and the name Fierro is typed but crossed out and replaced with handwriting that says Domenico Guarini. Here is where it gets very strange the address is my great-grandparents address of 638 N 8th Street. So her last name is Fierro and she is going to Domenico Fierro's home but it has Fierro crossed out replaced with Domenico Guarini and the same address of Domenico Fierro. Confused? I am stumped with this one. Thoughts? :roll:
Thank you!
- Tricia

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 14 Nov 2010, 09:56

Hi,
I have some doubt abt the Domenico arrival record; also I cannot find the 1910 census abt Domenico Fierro... however it is only a my suggestion..
I found a arrival abt a Pompilio Fierro from Montecalvo, 26 old in 1909, wife Margherita in Montecalvo

pag 1 http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0029
pag 2 http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0029
and joining at cousin Giuseppe D'Agostino in... unreadable
this Fierro made some trip before( 1903 joining at cousin Giuseppe Marra in Phila , PA and in 1906 joining at cousin Carlo Bisogno in E.. , New.. unreadable)

frankly, at part the first name, seeming that matching with your ancestor; it could be possible, that he used the first name domenico instead of Pompilio??
just a suggestion,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian Genealogy”