Carmela Sarricchio mystery

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Carmela Sarricchio mystery

Postby bkworm10 » 11 Nov 2010, 17:01

I am stumped trying to find my g-g-grandmother Carmela Sarricchio. This is what I know about her:

Her name was Carmela Gioscia and she married Vito Sarricchio in Accettura, Italy. Vito died in 1896 at age 36 in Philadelphia. She signed off on her daughter Teresa to marry in 1897 and it said Carmela Sarricchio was a widow in Philadelphia. She was living at 827 Bainbridge St., in Philadelphia in 1897. The only other thing I know is that my grandfather lived with Carmela (his grandmother) for awhile after his mother died and his dad got remarried. That would have been sometime after 1915.

I think Carmela probably got remarried, since she was young. I found on the LDS record search a marriage record in Philadelphia, dated 1900. Carmelia Sacichio married Rocco Pisante. I'm thinking there is a good chance this is my Carmela Sarricchio. But I can't find Rocco Pisante in any of the census records to see if it's possible. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Annette

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Carmela Sarricchio mystery

Postby johnnyonthespot » 11 Nov 2010, 17:31

She may have returned to Italy. There was a lot more back-and-forth going on then most people realize. And not all women were happy to be here...

If you know her place of birth, you can write and request a death record, just to see what happens.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 11 Nov 2010, 17:57

That's a good idea. I will give that a try. She was born in Accettura, Italy and they are very prompt in answering my emails. Would it show up with her maiden name - Carmela Gioscia, or her married name Carmela Sarricchio? If she got remarried, I wouldn't know what it is, unless she married Rocco Pesante. I did just send away for her marriage record to Vito Sarricchio and should get that next week from Accettura. Would it have notations on there for another marriage and possibly death, if she died over there?

Thanks!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 11 Nov 2010, 18:11

Always maiden name. Italian women never change their surname, no matter how many times they marry.

Normally, you would expect an estratto of her birth act to contain notations ("Annotazioni") concerning her marriage(s) and death, but 'tis not always so.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”