Great Grandmother listed as a male

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lanycla

Great Grandmother listed as a male

Postby lanycla » 13 Nov 2010, 00:17

I found my great grandmothers name on a ship's manifest with all of her children travelling with her. It lists her as a male and a farmer and the eldest daughter is listed as a male as well. Anyone know a reason for that? Her father-in-law was also travelling with her and he is listed as a famer and male as well.

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Great Grandmother listed as a male

Postby maestra36 » 13 Nov 2010, 00:40

Hello and welcome to the forum-
My great grandmother, who was traveling with her one daughter, was also listed as a male on the manifest. Her name was Antonia and they had her as Antonio and male and then under her name they had d: with the daughter's name.The daughter was listed as male as well, even though her name is clearly written as Angela on the manifest. The manifest did, however, read "husband in NY." I have no idea why such an error would have occurred. The manifests were put together by the steamship companies in Italy and not here in the U.S.
Peg

Return to “Italian Genealogy”