Surname: Maimone Need Help/Suggestions With Manifest

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Surname: Maimone Need Help/Suggestions With Manifest

Post by TriciaFierro »

Today's research has brought lots of good finds for me! :D
I was able to locate my Maimone ancestors 1900 and 1910 US census records. They took some time due to misspellings of names, but I found them...yeah! By doing so I discovered that my great-great-grandparents came to the US in 1899 on the EMS. In the US they were known as Antonio and Maria/Mary Maimone, however on their ship manifest it has him listed as Donato Maimone and her listed as MA Rosa Le Vigue. Both from Roccanova, Italy. I am sure that this is their manifest because it notes that they were going to stay with their son Prospero in Birdsboro, PA. A very small town in PA where my great-grandfather Prospero Maimone resided. I am thinking that the "MA Rosa" may be short for Maria Rosa, but I am confused by her last name. Does this look French, not Italian? Are you aware of an Italian surname close to this Le Vigue name that could explain a misspelling? The link to the manifest is below. Thank you!
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2997040035
- Tricia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Surname: Maimone Need Help/Suggestions With Manifest

Post by johnnyonthespot »

"Ma" is a standard abbreviation for Maria, an extremely common Italian first or second name.

I am not certain about the surname; it sure does look like Le Vigue. There are numerous listings for Vigue in the French telephone directory ( http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pagesblanches ... Avancee.do ), perhaps Maria Rosa's roots were in France.

I was unable to find any listings in the Italian telephone directory ( http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... m=&qs=&dv= )
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

Looks like Maria Rosa Le Vigne
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

eyetalgal wrote:Looks like Maria Rosa Le Vigne
Good catch. I am constantly fooled by the "n" looks like a "u" thingie.

Having said that, Le Vigne still doesn't look very good from the standpoint of actually existing in Italy. The best I could come up with is a name I recall from my childhood in my hometown: La Vigna (pronounced La-VEEN-ya): http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... +vigna&dv= But there is no doubt that the manifest seems to clearly have e's which I had to change to a's.

There are quite a fe Levigne's in the US however: http://www.whitepages.com/dir/a-z/le-vigne
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

If this is Prospero's birth act (1869 in Roccanova), perhaps it will help?

http://postimage.org/image/2m5gy48hw/

(Someone else will have to translate, as I cannot.)
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Wow, thank you Debi! This will prove most helpful :)
I cannot translate it either so if anyone can help I would apopreciate it, however, when I look at the mother's name which begins bottom of first page and continues on top of second page it looks more like Maria Rosa le Vigora on here. Anyone else have a thought on this one? If able to translate maybe parents of mother and father are listed on here as well. Thanks again, Debi! this is a great find! :)
- Tricia
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The birth was recorded on the 26 of August 1869
Prospero Maimone born in Roccasecca on August 23, 1869
father Antonio son of Eleonora (this is the mother of Antonio), 28, farmer
mother Maria Rosa Le Vigne, daughter of Luigi, spinner, 26.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Birth Record #53 for Propero Maimone-
Dated Aug 26, 1869, at 1 P.M. The birth took place on the 23rd

Appearing was Antonio Maimone, the son of Eleanora, age 28, peasant/farmer. He presented the male infant born to his Maria Rosa leVigne, his wife, the daughter of Luigi. She was age 26, a spinner, and living with him. The infant was born in their house on Contrada (Tempa?) del Castello, which did not have a number, and was given the name Propsero.

Witnesses were: Vincenzo Robilotta, the son of deceased Giuseppantoio, age 60, a landowner and Vincenzo Marinelli, of deceaed Nicola, age 36, of the same profession. Both were living in Roccanova.

Hope this helps.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Passenger Record for Maria Rosa. Possibly Debi can upload the manifest for you. Donato is above her on the manifest and they are traveling to son Prospero in Pa.

First Name: Ma Rosa
Last Name: Le Vigue
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian S
Last Place of Residence: Roccanova
Date of Arrival: Feb 23, 1899
Age at Arrival: 55y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Ems
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0005
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

liviomoreno wrote:The birth was recorded on the 26 of August 1869
Livio, you meant Roccanova, correct?
Carmine

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
liviomoreno wrote:The birth was recorded on the 26 of August 1869
Livio, you meant Roccanova, correct?
Yes, mine was a slip of the tongue!
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

I'm on my way to get some naturalization papers so they may tell me more info. Thank you so much to ALL of you for this great information! Everyone here is so helpful and I hope as I work through my own family tree that I am able to assist others in their research as well. :)
So, now that we see Maria Rosa's maiden name does appear to be Le Vigne...what are your thoughts? Is this an Italian surname? Her father's name was Luigi. Is this another mystery? Ha! :)
Thank you again!
- Tricia
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

There is the surname Lavigna, which I thought of immediately when I saw the surname in the birth record. It is possible that the surname was written as both one word and also as two. In my own ancestry, I have La Pila and Lapila which was written both ways, even in the earlier records. So this could be a similar situation. La Vigna means the vineyard, and Le Vigne would be the plural.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

In the book, Our Italian Surnames by Joseph G Fucilla, he says that Vigna may be a shortened form of Lavinia (p.102). Just sharing this for your information.
Peg
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Thank you, Peg! Now that I have his birth act and Maria Rosa's father's name I may be able to do more digging and I will keep your info about surnames in mind :)

I just got back from picking up some naturalization papers so I have some manifests to pull and more research to do. One thing that I did find out is that I do not believe that Prospero's parents Antonio and Maria Rosa ever became US citizens as I could not find naturalization papers for them. I did however find Prospero's and some members of other ancestors with differnt surnames. It's been a good day!

- Tricia
Tricia Fierro