Domenichiello & Giammarresi Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Domenichiello

Domenichiello & Giammarresi Surname

Postby Domenichiello » 17 Nov 2010, 22:29

Hi, I am doing some research on my surname Domenichiello and my mothers maiden name Giammarresi.

I am currently making a family tree on "myheritage.com" I have gatherd lots of info for both sides of the family but now I can't find anything past my Great-Great-Great-Nonno. I have been looking everywhere even used the ancestry.ca website but got nothing if anyone knows any information about anything about both names let know.

Some background info on the names:

Domenichiello -

My Nonno's name is Saverio Domenichiello born: Jan.1.1934 in Matera,Italy he married Ida Ciccotelli born Sep.11.1944

My Great-Nonno's name is Francesco Paolo Domenichiello he married Teresa Di Cecca. they lived in Matera,Italy

My Great-Great-Nonno's name is Giuseppe Domenichiello he married Bruna Capolupo. they lived in Matera,Italy

My Great-Great-Great-Nonno's name is Antonio Domenichiello he married Maria I don't know her Maiden name.

Giammarresi -

My Nonno's name is Francesco Paolo Giammarresi born Feb.2.1931 in Bagheria,Sicily,Italy he married Sebastiana Ditta born Dec.23.1928 Vita,Sicily,Italy

My Great-Nonno's name is Ignazio Giammarresi born 1894 he married Carmela Provenzano born 1897

My Great-Great-Nonno's name is Francesco Paolo Giammarresi he married Maria Martorana

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Domenichiello & Giammarresi Surname

Postby maestra36 » 17 Nov 2010, 22:43

Hello and welcome to the forum-
for the surname Domenichiello -are you talking about the town of Matera in Matera Province?

There are microfilmed civil records for the town from 1809 to 1929. Have you rented those films and found your info that way?

Registri dello stato civile di Matera (Matera), 1809-1929

https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Orderi ... ory_Center

Domenichiello

Postby Domenichiello » 17 Nov 2010, 23:22

maestra36 wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum-
for the surname Domenichiello -are you talking about the town of Matera in Matera Province?

There are microfilmed civil records for the town from 1809 to 1929. Have you rented those films and found your info that way?

Registri dello stato civile di Matera (Matera), 1809-1929

Hi, thank you for responding.

The Only way I have found my information was from older family members and birth records that they have.

How do I rent films and how does it work?

Domenichiello

Postby Domenichiello » 17 Nov 2010, 23:27

Hi, maestra36

I have used the familysearch.org site and searched both of the surnames but I have not found any matches with my family.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 17 Nov 2010, 23:29

In my last post above, I gave you a link. That will explain about ordering microfilms and tell you the locations of the various family history centers so that you can find one close to your home. The centers are staffed by volunteers so the hours of operation vary. You have to physically go there to order microfilm (costs about $5.50 a roll). It takes about 2 to 3 weeks for your local center to receive it from Salt Lake Cuty, Utah, where the main Mormon library is. You then have use of the microfilm at your local center for a month, but can renew it at an additional cost. If you choose to rent microfilms, only rent one or two initially. It can take a long time to go through one roll when you first do it.

www.familysearch.org -go to option search records and then in the drop down box choose library catalog. Search your town name and put Italy in the bottom box. If you follow the link I gave you in my post before you last replied, you will have all the information you need

Domenichiello

Postby Domenichiello » 17 Nov 2010, 23:36

Hi, maestra36

I have used this site before, is there a guarantee that I would find some one in the microfilm. How does family information get to salt lake city?

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 17 Nov 2010, 23:40

The Mormons have gone around the world photographing the records in the various archives. If you search in those records, you will find your ancestors.

In my last post above, I gave you a link. That will explain about ordering microfilms and tell you the locations of the various family history centers so that you can find one close to your home. The centers are staffed by volunteers so the hours of operation vary. You have to physically go there to order microfilm (costs about $5.50 a roll). It takes about 2 to 3 weeks for your local center to receive it from Salt Lake Cuty, Utah, where the main Mormon library is. You then have use of the microfilm at your local center for a month, but can renew it at an additional cost. If you choose to rent microfilms, only rent one or two initially. It can take a long time to go through one roll when you first do it.

www.familysearch.org -go to option search records and then in the drop down box choose library catalog. Search your town name and put Italy in the bottom box. If you follow the link I gave you in my post before you last replied, you will have all the information you need

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 17 Nov 2010, 23:44

just make sure you need the city of Matera and not another town in the province of Matera. If you need another town, then you need to put that town name in your search for the microfilm instead of Matera

Domenichiello

Postby Domenichiello » 18 Nov 2010, 01:10

Thank you

Return to “Italian Genealogy”