Mercurelli Death Information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Mercurelli Death Information

Postby sigatti » 27 Nov 2010, 01:18

Last year, I received enormous support from this forum in helping me locate information about my husband's mother's family, that of Umberto Mercurelli and his wife Maria Maffei. Both were very young immigrants to the USA from Ischia di Castro in Lazio. From what we know, they died within days of each other during the influenza epidemic of 1918. They left three orphans, who were left to various orphanages by Umberto's brother Adolfo, who returned to his own family in Italy. We imagine that their uncle was very sad about leaving the children; however, we are left with many questions, particularly about the fate of the parents.

We are seeking help with determining when and where Umberto and Maria died. They were living in McVeigh, Pike County Kentucky, USA. Umberto was a coal loader for the Pond Creek Coal Company. Exhaustive online searches of Pike County death records have yielded no information about death dates and, above all, burial locations. We do know that the children were taken to McDowell County West Virginia, where they were baptized (probably for the second time) near Berwind. A genealogist in Italy has been unable to locate records of their deaths, which Adolfo probably should have entered when he returned to Italy in or around 1918. Is anyone able to do a look-up of these deaths? Thank you!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”