Gallian, Ferrari family of Northern Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
thefurndoc

Gallian, Ferrari family of Northern Italy

Post by thefurndoc »

Hello,

I live in the USA and am looking for my ancestors in Northern Italy. My great grandfather's name was Joseph Angel Gallian. I have found out that his name was actually Giuseppe Angelo Gallian and found him on Ellis Island. He was born Aug 26, 1876 in Cuneo Italy. It has been said that their were 11 children and he was the oldest.

According to the records that we have his fathers name was Josh Gallian and his mother's maiden name was Olimpia Ferrari.

I have found that Olimpia came to the USA on the Ellis Island file along with 2 girls Adelaide and Carolina. Their is another boy whom I think I found on the Ellis Island records that's name is Luigi Gallian. I am not for sure he is the brother.

Their is 9 girls and 2 boys. I also found Olimpia's brothers name on ellis island as a closest living relative in italy as Giuseppe Ferrari.

I have looked on Google and other records for this family and have found nothing. I am hoping that someone can help me with this endeavor.

I did find some gallian and ferrari names in the italian phone book but do not recognize any of the names. Their was only 1 gallian name and a lot of ferrari's. I do not speak Italian so those phone numbers are not helpful to me.

It was known by our family that my great grandfather giuseppe gallian was a count. I don't know if that is helpful or not. I was also told that he came to the USA when their was political unrest in Northern Italy. The ellis island records shows Olimpia as being a widow. Thanks for all of your help
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Gallian, Ferrari family of Northern Italy

Post by ptimber »

First what are you looking for specifically and what makes you think they do not speak english???English is the second languiage in italy and taught in the schools. You can write in english and I am sure they will understand and if you call them on the telephone chances are they speak english. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

as for the nobility, I would go to www.google.com and insert Galllian and Italian nobility for references to that surname in nobility websites and historical narratives. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

thefurndoc wrote:Hello,

I live in the USA and am looking for my ancestors in Northern Italy. My great grandfather's name was Joseph Angel Gallian. I have found out that his name was actually Giuseppe Angelo Gallian and found him on Ellis Island. He was born Aug 26, 1876 in Cuneo Italy. It has been said that their were 11 children and he was the oldest.

According to the records that we have his fathers name was Josh Gallian and his mother's maiden name was Olimpia Ferrari.

I have found that Olimpia came to the USA on the Ellis Island file along with 2 girls Adelaide and Carolina. Their is another boy whom I think I found on the Ellis Island records that's name is Luigi Gallian. I am not for sure he is the brother.

Their is 9 girls and 2 boys. I also found Olimpia's brothers name on ellis island as a closest living relative in italy as Giuseppe Ferrari.

I have looked on Google and other records for this family and have found nothing. I am hoping that someone can help me with this endeavor.

I did find some gallian and ferrari names in the italian phone book but do not recognize any of the names. Their was only 1 gallian name and a lot of ferrari's. I do not speak Italian so those phone numbers are not helpful to me.

It was known by our family that my great grandfather giuseppe gallian was a count. I don't know if that is helpful or not. I was also told that he came to the USA when their was political unrest in Northern Italy. The ellis island records shows Olimpia as being a widow. Thanks for all of your help
Hi Lisa, sorry, I not read before your post..Gallian heraldry:
Cognome GALLIAN
Dimora principale Con più dimore (various house)

In archivio Documento disponibile (document available)
Fonti bibliografiche Albo D'Oro Nob. It.
Parentele BONARELLI (noble parents Bonarelli surname)
--------------
Cognome GALLIAN
Dimora principale Possedettero varie dimore (various house)

In archivio Documento disponibile (document available)
Fonti bibliografiche Archivi St Arald

Titolo nobiliare Signore (noble title LORD)
-----
more: this Luigi Gallian coming from Torino(Turin) and not Cuneo.. http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/searc ... 1903050134
are this??
---more Gallian family in Cuneo sure are presence in the past in Bellino town, Sampeyre town, Costigliole town, Savigliano town(Cuneo province)
in Savigliano also the Ferrari surname, bute Ferrari are very common in all Cuneo area...
but all details not are important, are important for search your family know age of emigration Giuseppe Angelo Gallian..if he emigrated after 23 old (age) you can write to "Archivio di Stato di Cuneo" and search info in folder"Liste di Leva e/o Ruoli matricolari"(militar service) for just exact birth place common in Cuneo province..

in fact in this moment I've found ship's manifest of Olimpia Gallian(Ferrari)been born in Ciriè town(Torino province)age 60 in travel with daughters Carolina and Adelaide(also coming from Borgo San Dalmazzo last residence but birthplace Cuneo) in November 21, 1910 Genoa , coming from
BORGO SAN DALMAZZO(CUNEO province) last residence, final destination Giuseppe Gallian son in San Francisco ; Olimpia's contact in Italy Ferrari Giuseppe brother in Via Marenco 11-Torino
http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/searc ... 0431%2ETIF

are an very probable Giuseppe Galliani (probable mistaken..from Gallian in Galliani!)age 26 in 1902( 1876+26=1902) born in Cuneo(!) final destination San Francisco(!):
http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/searc ... 2788090228

Now the search are easy:
this are the Ferrari in Borgo San Dalmazzo:
http://paginebianche.virgilio.it/pb/cer ... zo&x=0&y=0

this are Ferrari in Ciriè town:
http://paginebianche.virgilio.it/pb/cer ... 8&x=81&y=7

Gallian in Cuneo(only 1 person):

http://paginebianche.virgilio.it/pb/cer ... 3&cc=35390&

not are Gallian currently in Borgo San Dalmazzo
suggestions?
suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is no isting for gallian in heraldry websites. Peter
thefurndoc

Post by thefurndoc »

Thank you for your help. I do know that their were 11 children and 9 of them were female. I am assuming that Luigi is the other boy that came over on the ship from ellis island. The desitnation address is the same as Olimpia and girls where they were living, but everything does not add up. This is why I question weather or not luigi is really the other brother. I knwo that carolina and Adelaide never married and never had children. It was told to us that luigi never made it, but I think he might of. giuseppe did not have tons to do with his family (children) after he divorced his wife. This is why we know so little. I would like to get the family record of Olimpia and Josh Gallian marriage and family certificates. Where should I go from here?

Josh Gallian
Died Bef 1910

Olimpia Gallian (Wife of Josh)
born abt 1850 cirie, zorius, Italy
Died:? (supposedly went back to italy from USA)

Children:

Giuseppe Angelo Gallian
26 Aug 1876 Cuneo Italy
Died 11 Nov 1963

Adelaide Gallian
Born: Abt 1880
Died:?

Carolina Gallian (believed to go back to italy after adelaide died?)
Born:1884
Died:?

Luigi Gallian?

Uncle Giuseppe Ferrari (brother to Olimpia)

Also found out this bit of information

Joseph Gallian was the oldest of 13 Children, 2 boys and 11 girls.
Only 4 of the Gallian children came to the United States.
Joseph, who was the first born and the second child is the other brother.
2 girls came to California also.
A girl who taught English at Marin Junior College and lived almost in the backyard of the college and a sister named Carlotta (carolina) who complained a lot. The English teacher did not marry and died in California.
After the first sister died, Carlotta (carolina) went back to italy.
The other sisters attended the Conservatory of Music in Vienna. Phil (my grandfather) saw a picture of them posed in front of the Conservatory
Joseph died at age 79

We were told that a cousin was the personal violinist for the king of italy?

So, you see I have a lot of information but also I have little information. Thank you in advance for all of your help!

Lisa
thefurndoc

Post by thefurndoc »

I guess my other question is, do the ports in italy have records of people comming into the country from genoa? Because if Olimpia and carolina went back then maybe their would be a record of them somewhere in italy. Anyway, thank you.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

None that I am aware of,however the Ufficio Anagrafe in the town of origin may have a census record of them coming and going. Peter
thefurndoc

Post by thefurndoc »

when looking up the census record like you suggested I cannot find where you can look that type of infomation up on the internet. Do you have to write to them for this information or is their a place on the web that I am not seeing?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

you have to write to them in Italian. Do you know how to write Italian? if not go to www.freetranslation.com. In the alternative you cn go to www.circolocalabrese.org and click on form letters and modify. Peter
thefurndoc

Post by thefurndoc »

O.K. big update on finding the familia!

I was able to goto San Fransisco this last week and wanted to look up my great grandfathers grave with hopes that I maybe find his sisters their. I didn't find his sisters but did find his Mother and his brother their. I was so excited because I thought his mother went back to Italy. I did find that none of the family plots had markers on it and the one of my Great, Great, Grandmother Olimpia and Great Great Uncle Luigi (they are buried together) had a temporary marker, but it was weathered away. I am hopeful that I can write to Italy now and find out who the rest of the family is. Can someone tell me the address that I would write to in the Piedmonte area for the Mayor their to look up these records. I am excited to hopefully find out more information because I have the death dates and ordered death records for California. Any help would be appreciated. And thank you for the help thus far!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Just go to the nearest family history library of the Mromon chruch and request a microfilm of the civil records of the town of origin of the family members you are discussing. If you get back to me I can tell you the dates of these civil records. The other option is to,again knowing the town of origin, and to write tothe civil autorities there for copies of birth,marriage and death records provided you have full names and dates. In each isbntance you must know the town of orign as in Italy most records are there in the town of origin. Peter