No response from Commune

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

No response from Commune

Postby bkworm10 » 30 Nov 2010, 19:06

Accettura has been very responsive to my requests - usually done the same day they receive and I get it back within a week.

However, I sent away for Vito Sarricchio and Carmela Gioscia's marriage record in Accettura, Italy. I received Vito's birth record, even though I explicitly requested the marriage record. So I decided to send away for Carmela's birth record and I have not heard from them at all. So is it safe to assume that Carmela was not born in Accettura and Vito and Carmela were not married in Accettura. Do couples usually marry in the commune of the woman? Their daughter Teresa Sarricchio (my g-grandmother) was born in Accettura, in 1883. Gioscia does not seem to be a common name in Accettura or one that exists there today. How can I find out where Carmela Gioscia was born and married?

I also did the same for Francesco Laraia and Maria Filippo - I sent away for their marriage record. I have not heard anything at all, not even a birth record for Francesco. So, am I to assume that Francesco and Maria were not born and married in Accettura? Their son Giuiseppe (my g-grandfather) was born in Accettura in 1873.

Basically...my question is will I not hear anything, if they cannot find the record? Also, what year do the records start for Accettura? Finally, if they were not born and married in Accettura, how can I find out where they were born and married?

Thanks! Annette

montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Re: No response from Commune

Postby montclaire » 30 Nov 2010, 19:48

Can I ask how you've been going about this? I really would like to have copies of a few Statos but the whole process of requesting and paying for the service seems daunting.

Do they send you back a price and you send a money order for Euros? I've already asked mylocal post office and they said you can't SASE with European mail.

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 30 Nov 2010, 19:56

I started off by sending a letter in Italian to the Commune of Accettura, Italy. I enclosed a Self-addressed envelope (which they never used). They responded back immediately (within 10 days of my sending my request from the US). They never requested money, even though I offered. I then found their email address and sent my requests via email. I received my response within a week from them. Again, no requests for money. It's a very simple process and I'm lucky to get a commune that responds immediately (others are not so lucky). However, I think I reached the end of the road since they are not responding and my guess is that the people I am requesting as I go further back in my line are not born and/or married in Accettura. If you need help with writing the letter in Italian or finding the address of your commune, post your question as there are very informative and helpful people on this forum. Until I joined this forum, I knew very little about my Italian side. Now I know so much more and have 3 new surnames to add to my list.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 30 Nov 2010, 19:58

The problem is that they know once the 2nd request arrives that you are just going to keep chipping away at them. Not replying is sometimes a way to make you go away.
The death record will tell you when they were born but...if they will look for it is anyone's guess.
I alwasy call first and make sure they have what I need and will look for it.
Sig.ra Geronima LOSCALZO Telefono 0835/675946
is the lady you need to call
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby montclaire » 30 Nov 2010, 20:11

I was very fortunate to just be at the right place at the right time and met up with someone who was going over and could get the records in person. I am told that getting records from Avigliano, which is outside Potenza, can take up to six weeks or longer. The charge at the time for one stato was around $50 in fees.

I'd like to get more but as I said, paying is a large issue. I've gotten pretty good with google language tools and my pseudo Italian is at least understandbale, as I've sent several letters to family and have gotten half way decent returns.

I'd ask them to do the research but I think they're still a little leary of a long lost cousin. Many questions go unanswered.

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 30 Nov 2010, 20:21

Italysearcher wrote:The problem is that they know once the 2nd request arrives that you are just going to keep chipping away at them. Not replying is sometimes a way to make you go away.
The death record will tell you when they were born but...if they will look for it is anyone's guess.
I alwasy call first and make sure they have what I need and will look for it.
Sig.ra Geronima LOSCALZO Telefono 0835/675946
is the lady you need to call

They have answered 5 of my requests. It's just the last two they have not answered and I just assumed that since they sent me Vito's birth record when I requested his marriage record, that the marriage and birth of his wife were somewhere else in Italy.

I would gladly call, but I do not know Italian. Is there a chance that Sig.ra Geronima LOSCALZO would speak English?

I have ordered the microfilm...so I can see if they were married in Accettura when it comes.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”