Help needed with translation and archive questions

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Help needed with translation and archive questions

Postby Apples » 30 Nov 2010, 20:20

Hi can anyone help with some translation points please.

I recently sent an email to the Archivio Di Stato Di Lucca asking them which years are covered by the Stato Civile in the region.

And I got this reply :)

"Si comunica alla S.V. che lo Stato Civile nel territorio
lucchese fu attivo soltanto negli anni 1807-1814 (fondo archivistico Stato Civile del Principato) e venne compilato anche un censimento nel 1809 (fondo archivistico Gran Giudice), In seguito, nonostant un secondo censimento per l'anno 1823 (fondo archivistico Presidenza del buon governo), non ci furono piu registrazioni di Stato Civile fino al 1850 circa, dopo l'annessione di Lucca al Granducato di Toscana: i documenti relativi si trovano pero presso l'Archivio di stato di Firenze nel fondo Atti dello Stato Civile Toscano (1808-1865). Con il 1866 iniziano invece le registrazioni anagrafiche ad opera degli Uffici Anagrafe di ogni singolo Comune italiano. Nel periodo quindi che a Lei interessa, le uniche fonti di carattere anagrafico sono soltanto gli archivi delle parrocchie."

I understand that for the years I am researching I will need to consult the parish records but I was unsure about the information on the census for 1809 and 1823 and if they are kept in the Lucca archives or elsewhere. Does anyone know if either census has genealogical information?

Oh and out of interest what does S.V. stand for?

Thanks

jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Re: Help needed with translation and archive questions

Postby jamiecapaldi » 30 Nov 2010, 20:30

Notice is hereby given to S.V. that marital status in the territory
Lucca was active only in the years 1807-1814 (Principality of archival Civil Status) and was also compiled a census in 1809 (archival Chief Justice), then, despite a second survey for the year 1823 (archival Presidency of the Good government), there were more recordings of Civil Status to about 1850, after the annexation of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany, Lucca: the documentation is, however, at the State Archives of Florence in the background on Civil Status Acts Toscano (1808 -1865). Starting with the 1866 instead of the registry office records by Register Offices in every Italian town. During the period, therefore, that you are interested, the only sources of nature are only the master records of the parishes.
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 30 Nov 2010, 21:56

In 1815 Napoleon was defeated and towns in that region stopped keeping the civil records ordered by Napoleon. What records were kept up to 1865 appear to be now in Florence. So parish records are your only option.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Apples
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Apples » 04 Dec 2010, 14:16

Thanks for the above.

Still wondering if anyone knows about the 1823 census. Would it have been just a head count or will there be some genealogical information?

Return to “Italian Genealogy”