Need help finding Carmela Gioscia Sarricchio's ship man

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Need help finding Carmela Gioscia Sarricchio's ship man

Postby bkworm10 » 30 Nov 2010, 23:22

I see there are some people on this forum who can find ship manifests (even very hard ones) fairly quickly. I was wondering if anyone could find my g-g-grandmother's and g-grandmother's manifest. My g-g-grandmother was Carmela Gioscia Sarricchio and she came over from Accettura, Italy sometime between 1893-1897. Carmela was born around 1860. Her daughter Teresa Sarricchio was born in 1883in Accettura. I assume Carmela and Teresa came over together. Her husband Vito Sarricchio I believe came over in 1893. I think I found his manifest:

Name: Vetto Saruccio
Arrival Date: 3 Jul 1893
Birth Year: abt 1863
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Britannia

There are other Sarricchio's on that manifest, who may or may not be related. The Vito, Carmela and Teresa settled in Philadelphia and that is where Vito died in 1896 and Teresa was married in 1897. I don't know if Carmela would be listed on the manifest as Gioscia or Sarricchio. I've searched for both and can't find Carmela or Teresa's manifest. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Need help finding Carmela Gioscia Sarricchio's ship

Postby Tessa78 » 01 Dec 2010, 16:13

Her daughter Teresa Sarricchio was born in 1883in Accettura.The Vito, Carmela and Teresa settled in Philadelphia and that is where Vito died in 1896 and Teresa was married in 1897.

So Teresa was 14 years old when married?

Not a ship manifest :( (still looking for that :) ), but a reference to the possible marriage of Teresa in 1897...
And another variation in the spelling of the name Sarricchio...

From Philadelphia Marriage Indexes

Groom's Name Giuseppe Larajo
Bride's Name Serrecehia
Marriage License Year 1897
License Number 91670
Image Number 00037
Digital Folder Number 4141875

T.

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 01 Dec 2010, 16:43

Tessa78 wrote:
Her daughter Teresa Sarricchio was born in 1883in Accettura.The Vito, Carmela and Teresa settled in Philadelphia and that is where Vito died in 1896 and Teresa was married in 1897.

So Teresa was 14 years old when married?

Not a ship manifest :( (still looking for that :) ), but a reference to the possible marriage of Teresa in 1897...
And another variation in the spelling of the name Sarricchio...

From Philadelphia Marriage Indexes

Groom's Name Giuseppe Larajo
Bride's Name Serrecehia
Marriage License Year 1897
License Number 91670
Image Number 00037
Digital Folder Number 4141875

T.

Yes, Teresa was 14 (I didn't know that until I got her marriage record and birth act from Italy). That's how I got her mother's name - her mother Carmela had to sign off on her getting married. They thought she was 16 though, but I have her actual birth act and she was really 14.

I did find the marriage license number as you found and sent away for the marriage record from Philadelphia. The names of both are badly misspelled, but their signatures are correct (Teresa and Giuseppe, Carmela could not write so she just gave her mark).

Thanks so much for looking. I know they had to come over - just wish I could find it! It does say in one of the census records (can't remember which one) that Teresa came over in 1897. Since she was married in March 1897, it must have been early 1897, if you can believe the census.

Thanks!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 01 Dec 2010, 17:21

Do you know if there were any other children besides Teresa?

I have found a manifest that MAY be Carmela and Teresa
, arriving May 1896. The name badly mangled/transcribed, but the ages are good. Carmela born about 1863, and Teresa born 1883. There are two other daughters who are younger, Isabella and Francesca. Last Residence is listed as Acellena, which could be a misunderstanding or misspelling.

Given Name: Carmela
Surname: Giosevea (could be misspelling of Gioscia)
Last Place of Residence: Acellens
Date of Arrival: 08 May 1896
Age at Arrival: 33
Ethnicity: Italie
Port of Departure: Naples
Port of Arrival: New York
Marital Status:
US Citizen:
Ship of Travel: Patria
Collection: New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924

Lines 672, 673, 674, 675.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... exe%3FT%3D\\\\192.168.100.11\\images\\M237-0658\\M237-06580520.TIF%26S%3D.5&pID=102883131568&name=Carmela%26nbsp%3BGiosevea&doa=May+08%2C+1896&port=Naples&line=0672

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 01 Dec 2010, 17:32

From Ancestry...the same mangled spelling of the name...
The children were listed under mother's name... not Sarricchio

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Veresa Giogeve
Name: Veresa Giogeve
Arrival Date: 8 May 1896
Birth Year: abt 1883
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Patria

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 01 Dec 2010, 17:42

Forgot to mention....

The intended destination on the above manifest for Carmela is Philadelphia! :-)

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 01 Dec 2010, 17:48

Found this listing for a marriage in Philadelphia for Isabella Sarricchio, but cannot confirm that this is any connection to your ancestor...

Groom's Name: Guida
Bride's Name: Isabella Sarricchio
Marriage License Year: 1930
License Number: 596902
Image Number: 00033
Digital Folder Number: 4141824
Collection: Pennsylvania, Philadelphia Marriage Indexes, 1885-1951

T.

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 01 Dec 2010, 17:50

Oh my gosh...I think you may have found it! Unfortunately, I do not know if Teresa had any siblings. I do think that Teresa was the oldest girl (because her paternal grandmother was Teresa and her paternal grandfather was Francesco, which might be why the youngest girl was Francesca), so that matches. I will see if there are any marriage records for Isabella and Francesca in Philadelphia. I can definitely see Accettura as the town name. What do you think it says before Teresa's name? It looks like Daughter? Does that make sense? It does not look like Sarricchio. I can also see Gioscia as Carmela's last name. And the destination is correct too - Philadelphia. wow...you guys are good! How in the world did you find it???

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Now I have some new leads to go on too! Possible siblings to look for! Wow...thanks! Annette

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 01 Dec 2010, 17:53

Tessa78 wrote:Found this listing for a marriage in Philadelphia for Isabella Sarricchio, but cannot confirm that this is any connection to your ancestor...

Groom's Name: Guida
Bride's Name: Isabella Sarricchio
Marriage License Year: 1930
License Number: 596902
Image Number: 00033
Digital Folder Number: 4141824
Collection: Pennsylvania, Philadelphia Marriage Indexes, 1885-1951

T.

Wow, you beat me to it. I was just about to look for the marriage records of Isabella and Francesca. I would like to find them in the census records too. I know Carmela lived in Philadelphia after Teresa's death in 1914, because my grandfather lived with her for awhile...probably around 1920ish.

I repeat...you are good! Thanks!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 01 Dec 2010, 17:57

bkworm10 wrote:Oh my gosh...I think you may have found it! Unfortunately, I do not know if Teresa had any siblings. I do think that Teresa was the oldest girl (because her paternal grandmother was Teresa and her paternal grandfather was Francesco, which might be why the youngest girl was Francesca), so that matches. I will see if there are any marriage records for Isabella and Francesca in Philadelphia. I can definitely see Accettura as the town name. What do you think it says before Teresa's name? It looks like Daughter? Does that make sense? It does not look like Sarricchio. I can also see Gioscia as Carmela's last name. And the destination is correct too - Philadelphia. wow...you guys are good! How in the world did you find it???

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Now I have some new leads to go on too! Possible siblings to look for! Wow...thanks! Annette

Yes, I believe it says "daughters" before Teresa's name...

Here is the groom listing in the Philadelphia Marriage Index for the matching "Isabella Sarricchio" I posted above...
Groom's Name Nicholas Guida
Bride's Name Sarricchio
Marriage License Year 1930
License Number 596902
Image Number 00292
Digital Folder Number 4141719

:-) :-D We just LOVE the challenge... and it feels good to be of help!

T.

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 01 Dec 2010, 22:11

T.

I checked and I found another Isabella Sarricchio, who is a more appropriate age to be married in 1930 to Nicholas Guida. She was the daughter of Annasaura Sarricchio who was also in Philadelphia. Isabella was listed as single in 1930 census, daughter of Annasaura and age 25. My Isabella, would have been 41 - doubtful that she was getting married for the first time in 1930. :(

So while you were able to find their manifests (which I still can't believe) - they have once again disappeared off the face of the earth from 1897 onward! I know for a fact that Carmela was here around 1920ish as my grandfather lived with her for awhile. I was hoping with the addition of two possible siblings that I could find more information on them...but no such luck.

I did find a possible marriage record for Carmela, as I would imagine she got remarried, since she was widowed at a young age. I found it on the beta family search:

Groom's Name Rocco Pisante
Bride's Name Sacichio
Marriage License Year 1900
License Number 121699
Image Number 00216
Digital Folder Number 4141908

The brides name is Carmela Sacichio and the year seems good (her first husband died in 1896). Of course, when I do a search on Rocco Pisante in Philadelphia for any of the censuses, I come up empty! They just do not want to be found very easily.

Thanks again! Just finding their manifests made my day! But I thought I would update you on Isabella Sarricchio.

A.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 01 Dec 2010, 22:16

bkworm10 wrote:T.

I checked and I found another Isabella Sarricchio, who is a more appropriate age to be married in 1930 to Nicholas Guida. She was the daughter of Annasaura Sarricchio who was also in Philadelphia. Isabella was listed as single in 1930 census, daughter of Annasaura and age 25. My Isabella, would have been 41 - doubtful that she was getting married for the first time in 1930. :(

So while you were able to find their manifests (which I still can't believe) - they have once again disappeared off the face of the earth from 1897 onward! I know for a fact that Carmela was here around 1920ish as my grandfather lived with her for awhile. I was hoping with the addition of two possible siblings that I could find more information on them...but no such luck.

I did find a possible marriage record for Carmela, as I would imagine she got remarried, since she was widowed at a young age. I found it on the beta family search:

Groom's Name Rocco Pisante
Bride's Name Sacichio
Marriage License Year 1900
License Number 121699
Image Number 00216
Digital Folder Number 4141908

The brides name is Carmela Sacichio and the year seems good (her first husband died in 1896). Of course, when I do a search on Rocco Pisante in Philadelphia for any of the censuses, I come up empty! They just do not want to be found very easily.

Thanks again! Just finding their manifests made my day! But I thought I would update you on Isabella Sarricchio.

A.

Yes, I thought the same thing (age 41) when I found that record. Knew you would have to confirm, so it was worth the post.

I have also been trying to find a census, but given the MANY, MANY ways that the name has been misspelled, who knows what it might look like in the census. I even tried searching on Carmela's maiden name thinking she might use that. Have searched the siblings, but come up empty....so far. Not giving up.

Carmela's remarriage may help alot.

T.

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 02 Dec 2010, 00:45

I was able to find a Ralph Pesante in the 1900 census, but he is still single at that point.

Name: Ralph Pisante
Home in 1900: Folsom, Delaware, Pennsylvania
Birth Date: May 1862
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1899
Relationship to Head of House: Boarder
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Marital Status: Single

Is it him? I don't know...it's the closest I get though. I even went page by page in that particular area to see if I could find a Carmela, and no such luck. I know Carmela lived on 827 Bainbridge in 1897 and Teresa (married by then - Laraio) lived on 603 Fitzwater in 1903. I went to those addresses and paged through the surrounding streets and could not find any of them in the 1900 census.

Thanks for your time and effort. It is very much appreciated. I will keep looking too!

A.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 02 Dec 2010, 14:48

bkworm10 wrote:I was able to find a Ralph Pesante in the 1900 census, but he is still single at that point.

Name: Ralph Pisante
Home in 1900: Folsom, Delaware, Pennsylvania
Birth Date: May 1862
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1899
Relationship to Head of House: Boarder
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Marital Status: Single

Is it him? I don't know...it's the closest I get though. I even went page by page in that particular area to see if I could find a Carmela, and no such luck. I know Carmela lived on 827 Bainbridge in 1897 and Teresa (married by then - Laraio) lived on 603 Fitzwater in 1903. I went to those addresses and paged through the surrounding streets and could not find any of them in the 1900 census.

Thanks for your time and effort. It is very much appreciated. I will keep looking too!

A.

Yes, I came across this census, too. :-) It seems he was a railroad laborer. They sometimes lived at the site of the construction, away from home. Also...they may have married after the census was taken.

I also searched Laraio/Larajo and didn't find Teresa. Going street by street is time-consuming, but can sometimes yield rewards :-) I'm sorry it didn't in this case :-( But I'm glad to hear you will continue your search.

I've found clues when and where I least expected them :-D Keep the faith!

T.

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 02 Dec 2010, 15:00

Yes, but again that's the last I see of Ralph/Rocco Pesante - even in later censuses. I went through (line by line) Ward 7, District 117 (which had yet another address that Joseph and Teresa lived at), but another Italian family was living at that address (even though 2 years later Teresa and Joseph will be living there). They really got around...it seems they moved just about every year or so! I wonder why?

I also went (line by line) Ward 3, District 64. That district had a lot more Italians, but again none of mine.

I just plan to go through all the districts/wards that have the streets they lived on or near. I've already done the most obvious ones and now I am doing the less obvious.

Of course, they may have planned to go back to Italy in 1900 for some reason. But then I can't find their ship manifests to come back into the USA. Teresa had a child in 1898 (Rocco) and then her next one was in 1902. So I guess anything is possible.

I also sent away to the Archdiocese of Philadelphia Research Center (PAHRC) for records on Teresa and Joseph and their family. That should arrive any day now and hopefully give me more clues (i.e. sponsors for baptisms, could be Carmela's children and Teresa's sisters???)

Thanks again for your help! A.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”