Determining the church an ancestor was married in

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Determining the church an ancestor was married in

Postby chrisdamato » 03 Dec 2010, 00:47

I have marriage records for several ancestors in Sant'Arsenio. However, I would like to find out exactly which church the marriage occurred in. The town marriage record does not indicate this. Where do I need to go? There are about 3 churches in the town.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Determining the church an ancestor was married in

Postby Italysearcher » 03 Dec 2010, 13:28

Do you know their address or area they lived in from some of the earlier birth records? If so you can contact one parish and ask which parish would have records for that area (street). Bear in mind that the marriage usually occurred in the parish of the bride.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 03 Dec 2010, 13:46

In helping a cousin with his research for the city of Benevento, which did not have any microfilmed state civil records, I found that there were 13 parishes, so I sent letters to all of them. One priest responded that the ancestors' records were in his parish, asked for a donation, which my cousin then sent him, and he sent copies of the records-both photocopies from his parish books, as well as typed-in-Italian copies, as he did not know that my cousin had me to help him decipher the old script.

I personally would just write to all three parishes simultaneously and see what happens. I would also look to see if any of the parishes have websites with email addresses. For another cousin, I found a website for the parish in her ancestral town. She was visiting the town several months later. The parish priest answered her email and said he would have copies for her when she arrived in the town. He not only got her copies of records from his parish books, but also got her copies from a few neighboring town churches. In addition, he had a dinner for her and her husband with 200 people when she arrived in the town. He told her these people were all in someway related to her. So look to see if the parishes have websites with email addresses and don't be afraid to attempt contact the parishes that way, but in Italian and not in English. This particular priest knew English, but you just never know, so it is best to email or write in Italian. There's a sample letter at the following website, which you can adapt to your needs:

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 03 Dec 2010, 13:51

chrisdamato wrote:I have marriage records for several ancestors in Sant'Arsenio.

Do you mean that you have the Atti di Matrimonio? You may wish to look for or request the other documents, usually referred to as the "Banns" and which may include the Atti di Pubblicazione di Matrimonio, Atti di Solenne Promessa di Celebrare il Matrimonio and others (?). I have never had the energy to try to read these, but I understand that the name of the church where the religious ceremony took place can usually be found in the form of an annotation.

Ann, can you confirm?

The Family History Library films for my maternal ancestral comune include the banns for a wide range of years but not all.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 03 Dec 2010, 14:34

Carmine
None of the memoranda, publications, or notifications that I have (and I have many of all of these types of records from various towns) have the parish name on them. However, at the bottom of some of my solemn promise records, there is a section that does give the parish name.
Peg

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 03 Dec 2010, 14:39

I would say that the Chiesa Madre of the town, or the Mother Church, would normally be the parish where the ancestral records would be. The other parishes may be newer additions. I would try to determine which of the three parishes that Chris found is the Mother Church, and I personally would try that parish first, if I was only going to try one parish at a time.

Of course, if the Mother Church has been destroyed through natural disaster, then those records may not even be available, as is the case in my one ancestral town where the records, which had been housed in the church, were buried along with it.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 03 Dec 2010, 14:45

maestra36 wrote:However, at the bottom of some of my solemn promise records, there is a section that does give the parish name.
Peg

Trafford R. Cole mentions this in his Italian Genealogical Records: How to Use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical & Other Records in Family History Research - it is the "Indicazione" notation to the Atto di Solenne Promessa di Celebrare il Matrimonio ( http://books.google.com/books?id=i_qgMM ... &q&f=false )
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 03 Dec 2010, 14:54

Here's another problem though. For my more recent marriage records-those from the 1880s and 1890s, you don't get a solemn promise (at least in my towns those records were not available). You only got publications and acts of matrimony, neither of which has the church name on them. The earlier records from the 1860s did have the solemn promise and the information concerning the parish. Sometimes, however, the indication section said "the parish of the town" and did not specifically give the parish name.

The problem with Sant'Arsenio is that there are only three rolls of microfilm for the town. There are publications and acts of matrimony, but that is all

chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Postby chrisdamato » 03 Dec 2010, 15:49

Correct. Not much to go on for Sant'Arsenio. I will begin looking into contacting the parishes one by one to see if I can successfully find any records.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 03 Dec 2010, 16:19

Please remember that the LDS filmed records at the State Archives NOT In the town. Just because the Archives didn't have the records doesn't mean they don't exist.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 03 Dec 2010, 16:26

The point Ann makes is a very good one. Based on my own experience, I have often gotten information directly from towns which did not exist in the microfilmed records. The town may very well have the church name in its registers. You might want to try emailing the town for the information.

santarsenio.s@tiscali.it (no spaces in the email address)

chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Postby chrisdamato » 04 Dec 2010, 22:16

Excellent, thank you.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 04 Dec 2010, 23:31

Do any of the documents you have say where they lived (house number or street address)? I found using google maps together with Parrocchie works great.

Use the house address as Point A and then enter the street address or Name of Church as Point B and see which one is closest to the house. It doesn't always work but it's a lot of fun - and you can often see a picture of the house/area where your ancestor lived, was born in, married in or died in.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 05 Dec 2010, 15:24

Nuccia.
That Parrocchie website didn't yield any parishes for Sant'Arsenio, as far as I could tell. However, I had previously tried the google map site, and it looked to me that the parish of Santa Maria Maggiore was the closest to via Fontana Maggiore, which was the street in the records that Chris had for the town. Unfortunately, there was no house number given in the records, and via Fontana Maggiore appears to run for a number of blocks, so it's really difficult to determine if that parish was the closest one. It is, however, the parish that I would try to contact first.

Santa Maria Maggiore
Via Antonio Cafaro, 23
84037 Sant'Arsenio SA
Italy

Return to “Italian Genealogy”