Help finding surname - Italian immigrants in Belgium

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ItalianBelgian

Help finding surname - Italian immigrants in Belgium

Postby ItalianBelgian » 17 Dec 2010, 12:39

(Second time posting the same post, this time in more appropriate category)
I’m new to this forum and saw it whilst trawling through the internet attempting to discover a surname. I’ve been going through countless genealogy sites for weeks and thought that someone here may be able to help.
My ancestors on my grandmother’s father’s side of the family immigrated to Flanders, Belgium from Italy, I have been told sometime between the 1770s and 1800s. There are three female names all clumped together at the beginning of the index lent to me by my grandmother making me believe that the first Italians in her family were sisters, unfortunately there are no surnames after them which is extremely frustrating so these are only given names:
Maria Theresia – B. 18.3.1770
Maria Alex. B. 22.9.1774
Maria Lucia – B. 11.9.1777

As I have said there are no surnames with these first names, although I believe one or more of these women married into the Van Der Stricht family, the surname of my grandmother’s grandmother.
I am aware that this is an incredibly long shot but would anyone happen to have any information on these people and their surname(s) or any information about Italian migration to France and Belgium and any surnames that may have been attributed with it. I have gone through hundreds of sites including ‘familysearch.org’ so any new info would be extremely appreciated.
Thanks.
Miles

Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Help finding surname - Italian immigrants in Belgium

Postby Paolo47 » 18 Dec 2010, 18:10

Hello Miles, :D
If you haven't considered this, maybe some help from The Latter Day Saints and a Local Family History Center.
The Vital Records Index - Western Europe on CD contains information which has been taken from birth, christening and marriage records of Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland. These records cover an approximate time period from the fourteenth century through the nineteenth century.

Good luck,
Paul

ItalianBelgian

Re: Help finding surname - Italian immigrants in Belgium

Postby ItalianBelgian » 18 Dec 2010, 18:30

Thanks Paul, this article was a repost and on my original post I managed to aquire the info that I needed (It turns out that Maria was most likey the surname of my ancestors not the given names)
But on the subject of the 'Latter day saints and local family history centre' I've spent alot of time looking through their records with no result, do you know of any other online databases that could provide with me the information that I am looking for (Where my ancestors were from)? If so would you mind posting an answer in my other forum that addresses this question?
Thanks and all the best, Miles

Return to “Italian Genealogy”