Still NO luck finding where Catello Zullo entered the US.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Still NO luck finding where Catello Zullo entered the US

Post by maestra36 »

JoeZurlo wrote:Well I believe I found a death record for Giovannina Cifaldi , if that is her on the 1910 census, she was using Jennie as her American nickname. I found a death notice for a Jennie Cifaldi, died age 21, September 13, 1910, Kings County (Brooklyn), my family lived in Brooklyn. The death notice number is 18603.
Maybe this is her, any opinions? Thanks for all your help!

Didn't she marry Catello in 1905? I would therefore expect the Brooklyn death certificate to be under her married and not maiden name.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

just for your info, on the family search beta website there is the following-

* New York, Kings County Estate Files, 1866-1923
* Kings County
* Zu
* Zurlo, Vincenzo (1918)

The petition was filed by Catello. It is 5 pages.
JoeZurlo

Post by JoeZurlo »

Good point about using her married name but I'm going crazy trying to find out what happened to Giovannina Cifaldi. Catello (who was a shady character) marries Cifaldi in 1905, on the 1920 census he is married to Mary Zurlo (July 29 1918 he marries Maria Regato , maybe this is Mary?) On October 5 AND 24th he is listed as marrying Chiara Dellergo. All in Kings county (Brooklyn). Now can you see my confusion and frustration? I need help. Isn't there a free site where you can death notices, divorces, etc? Thanks again!

Oops! Forgot to ask, I don't understand what you mean by petition?

"* New York, Kings County Estate Files, 1866-1923
* Kings County
* Zu
* Zurlo, Vincenzo (1918)

The petition was filed by Catello. It is 5 pages"

Can you send me this link please? Thanks!
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The estate files are for individuals who died without wills, which was common in those days. A family member would then petition the court to get the personal property of that family member who had died. Sometimes certain family members would waive their rights to the property so that only one family member could get the contents of the deceased's estate.

Go to the following link:

https://www.familysearch.org/s/collecti ... TH_AMERICA

Then go down to the following and click on it:

New York, Kings County Estate Files, 1866-1923

You can now search the surname Zurlo and two entries will appear. The other one may be part of your family as well.

When you click on the link which says Vincenzo Zurlo, you can't see the image unless you sign in.

At the top right corner of the page, it will say sign in. If you don't have an acct, it gives you the option to create one. You just need a username and password. There is no charge. Once you have that, you will be able to go back and see the petition that was filed in the estate of Vincenzo Zurlo. It was filed by Catello. Then you can read the 5 pages of the document and even save and print them.

Peg
JoeZurlo

Post by JoeZurlo »

Great! Thank you so much, I saved Catello's petition. I appreciate all your help. Also, I only knew of Ellis Island and Castle Garden, where else on the East Coast did immigrants arrive in 1890? Are there web sites I can look at for these. Thanks again!