ancestor's church?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lousdepot
Rookie
Rookie

ancestor's church?

Postby Lousdepot » 07 Jan 2011, 18:37

Is there any mention of what church my ancestors may have belonged to on the civil records from their commune?? for example on their birth or marriage records?? thanks

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: ancestor's church?

Postby Italysearcher » 07 Jan 2011, 19:48

Depends how old they are and what part of Italy.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 07 Jan 2011, 20:15

It might be done by cross referencing the street address located at www.mappy.com ( select Italy) and the listing of churches found at www.parrocchie.it for the town and use the church street address on www.mappy.com and see if any of these churches appear close to your relatives house address on the street map.

I agree that it might be complicated but challenging as research. =Peter=
~Peter~

Lousdepot
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Lousdepot » 10 Jan 2011, 17:51

they are all from Pignola, Potenza, Basilicata. I plan to visit within the year. Is this something that may be easily figured out when i get there?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 10 Jan 2011, 20:16

Should be easy but you did not say if you used the www.mappy.com map of the address where they resided to see where they lived in that town?

I meanthere are only 6000+ people inthe village......
www.tuttitalia.it/basilicata/84-pignola Click on the www for the tourist portion of the village for posible fotos. =Peter=
~Peter~

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 13 Jan 2011, 14:15

There is a lot of churches in these towns I would let me fingers do the walking before I go to Italy and try to figure out the top 2 or 3 churches in each town so you cut down you odds.Use the birth records to get the address. Peter got some good info the parishes and map idea
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 13 Jan 2011, 15:10

There are two listed in the yellow pages www.paginebianche.it and 14 for the provincial area in towns around Pignola as well. =Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”