ITALIAN SURNAMES

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mariemaye
Rookie
Rookie

ITALIAN SURNAMES

Postby mariemaye » 08 Jan 2011, 04:59

How are Italian surnames derived? The surnames in my family are Iacouzze, Mariano, Buchiccio, and Nardiello. Do the names come from the town where people lived?

Michael31
Master
Master

Re: ITALIAN SURNAMES

Postby Michael31 » 08 Jan 2011, 06:34

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 Jan 2011, 12:20

Also, see Trafford R. Cole's Italian Genealogical Records: How to Use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical & Other Records in Family History Research (there should be a link on the right side of this window). No researcher of Italian genealogy should be without this book.

On the subject of surnames, he says this: http://books.google.com/books?id=i_qgMM ... &q&f=false
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 08 Jan 2011, 12:48

I'm sure your surname Nardiello would fit into the category below:

NARDI, NARDO, NARDELLI, NARDELLO, NARDIELLO, NARDELLA, NARDILLI, NARDULLI, NARDINI, NARDIN, NARDUCCI, NARDUZZI, NARDONI, NARDONE, NARDON, NARDARI: From the first name Nardo, deriving from the first name Leonardo or Bernardo

MARIANI MARIANO MARIANELLI MARIANINI From the first name Mariano, derived from the Latin nickname "Marianus", from the Etruscan name "Marius" or from the adjective marianus, devoted to Mary, mother of Christ.

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 08 Jan 2011, 12:51

IACUZZI: From the first name Giacomo, Giacobo, Giacopo, Giacobbe, derived from the Hebrew "Yaaquob" = God has protected

BUCCARELLI, BUCCELLA, BUCCHI, BUCCI, BUCCO, BUCCOLINI: Nicknames connected to the Latin root "bucca" meaning mouth

all of the above from the following website:

http://www.italyworldclub.com/genealogy/surnames/a.htm

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 08 Jan 2011, 14:02

Marie it also depends on what part of Italy you where from also North South East West and what other country was close such as Slavic countries or others

Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 Jan 2011, 14:06

adelfio wrote:Marie it also depends on what part of Italy you where from also North South East West and what other country was close such as Slavic countries or others

Marty A

That is why I recommend the book - not so much to learn about particular surnames, but to understand why surnames came to exist in the first place and how they developed from various inputs over time.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 09 Jan 2011, 10:50

Since starting the Italian Surname Database, I get hundreds of emails a month asking me about specific surnames but generally surnames fall into one of four categories.

Occupation ie: Zappatore
Geography ie: Siciliano
Nicknames ie: Rosso
By their family or their father: DiGiovanni

http://italiansurnames.blogspot.com
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

mariemaye
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mariemaye » 09 Jan 2011, 17:32

Thanks so much everyone for all of your help!!!!
Marie

mariemaye
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mariemaye » 09 Jan 2011, 18:32

Is it customary for a father to name his first son after his own father? I seem to have an awful lot of Rocco's in my genealogy? What about daughters? is the first daughter named after the mother's mother?
Thanks,
Marie

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 09 Jan 2011, 18:47

Naming patterns in Italian families vary slightly but it is customary, especially in Southern Italy to name the oldest son after the the paternal father, the oldest daughter after the paternal mother, the second son after the maternal father and the second daughter after the maternal mother.

In some families only the oldest son followed this naming tradition.

Having said that you may notice that this is reversed in some families, as it was in my family prior to the late 1800's. Or if the first son passed away then another son (perhaps the third, or fourth, etc) would be named after the paternal father and so on.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

mariemaye
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mariemaye » 10 Jan 2011, 13:39

Thanks Nuccia!

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 10 Jan 2011, 14:02

WWW.ITALIANSRUS.COM is a useful website. Just put in Italian Surnames in the google search box and later whatever other information you may wish to explore in the same box. =Peter=
~Peter~

mariemaye
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mariemaye » 10 Jan 2011, 21:43

Thanks for the tip Peter!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”