Help with Foundling from Northern Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
redwoodforest

Help with Foundling from Northern Italy

Postby redwoodforest » 08 Jan 2011, 19:13

I have read the posts related to foundlings on this forum and appreciate the information I've found. However, I am having difficulties researching my great-grandmother, Maddalena Manini, who was most likely a foundling from northern Italy (then Tyrol, Austria).

Maddalena immigrated to the US from Terzolas, listing her birthplace as Bedollo. There are several others who list their birthplace & last residence as Bedollo on the same manifest. Her surname of MANINI is one of the most common surnames in Terzolas. Maddalena's parish marriage record from the United States lists her place of baptism as Innsbruck, Austria in March 1884. Her mother's name is listed as Domenica MANINI. There is no father's name listed. I cannot find a record of her birth in Bedollo or Terzolas. The archives in Innsbruck have no record of her either.

Family stories say that she never met her biologic mother. Maddalena was supposed to meet her mother and traveled to the town where her mother lived (perhaps Bedollo), but her mother died before Maddalena arrived.

I am wondering if Maddalena was placed in the Innsbruck Foundling and Maternity Hospital and then raised by Domenica Manini and taken to Terzolas to live. My dad remembers that his grandmother was "born in a hospital in Innsbruck." Not sure if Maddalena was truly born there, but perhaps she lived there at one point.
My questions:
1. Could she have been born in Bedollo, baptized, taken to the Foundling Hospital, and then re-baptized and re-named?
2. Any idea if records from the Foundling Hospital exist?

Any suggestions for how to pursue this further would be greatly appreciated.

Stephanie

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Help with Foundling from Northern Italy

Postby pink67 » 08 Jan 2011, 20:18

Hi Stephanie :D

I checked this italian site:

http://www.natitrentino.mondotrentino.n ... 739&mode=2

and found an interesting record:

Name: LUIGIA TERESA
Last name/Family name: MANINI
Father's name: --
Mother's name: DOMENICA
Mother's family name: MANINI

Year of birth: 20/12/1883
Parish: TERZOLAS - S. Nicolà

No father's name is listed...

Laura

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 08 Jan 2011, 20:28

If the arrival manifest you' referring to is this one:

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0006

She stated Terzolas as place of birth and of last residence in Italy...
She stated also she was joining her brother Carlo Manini, Mt. Carmel PA

Laura

redwoodforest

Postby redwoodforest » 08 Jan 2011, 20:49

Hi Laura,
Thanks for your replies. I have seen both of these entries.

The reference to her brother on the passenger list is not her biologic brother - his surname was different than hers. It was not Manini. I wondered if perhaps his family "adopted" her, but I haven't found anything proving this to be true. They were originally from Bolzano. I must have misread that she was born in Bedollo. It was all Terzolas.

I've seen the entry on the nati in trentino site, but the given names don't match so I don't know that it's really her.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Stephanie

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 09 Jan 2011, 08:10

Stephanie,

considering that Terzolas is a very little village (today only 600 inhabitants) and considering the coincidence (I think more than a coincidence..) of the mother's name Domenica Manini and the lack of a father's name I would consider to ask for that birth act to the Comune of Terzolas (not the church record but the civil record) it may have some clues for your research...

Maddalena's parish marriage record from the United States lists her place of baptism as Innsbruck, Austria in March 1884

Maybe she was given to an institute and this is the reason of her Baptism in Innsbruck on March 1884...

Comune di Terzolas
Ufficio di stato civile
Piazza della Torraccia, 2
38027 Terzolas Val di Sole TN
Italia

:D Just my thought...

Laura

redwoodforest

Postby redwoodforest » 09 Jan 2011, 16:10

Hi Laura,
Thanks for the suggestion - I think you're right that it's worth a more thorough look. I will write to them.

Thanks again,
Stephanie

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 09 Jan 2011, 19:23

Stephanie,

I'm sorry because this explanation on the site Nati in Trentino is only in Italian but it's very important for your research:

http://www.natitrentino.mondotrentino.n ... 803&mode=2

I BAMBINI ABBANDONATI

Con lettera datata Vienna, 1819 giu. 25, indirizzata al capitanato circolare di Trento, la cancelleria aulica comunicava "essere espressa volontà di S. M. che in Trento, alle Laste, venga eretto, a carico dell'erario, un ospedale di fanciulli esposti... ".
L'istituto fu sistemato nell'ex convento dei carmelitani scalzi alle Laste, che durante la dominazione francese era stato espropriato.
Il 1° gennaio 1833 fu ufficialmente inaugurata l'apertura dell'istituto, chiamato "Istituto delle partorienti e degli esposti in Trento", agli illegittimi e agli orfani.
Nel 1870 la sede viene trasferita ad Innsbruck.

Presso alcuni Archivi parrocchiali sono presenti i "Registri degli esposti" e altro materiale sull'infanzia abbandonata Consulta gli Inventari d'archivio

Nell'Indice "NATI IN TRENTINO" non compaiono – al momento – i bambini nati all'Istituto delle Laste.

E' però possibile consultare il fondo:

Istituto degli esposti, delle partorienti e dell'istruzione delle mammane alle Laste presso Trento.
Inventario dell'archivio (1833 - 1920)

presso l'Archivio provinciale di Trento
Via di Melta, n. 22 - 38100 Trento
Telefono: 0461 994009; 0461 961404
Fax: 0461 994009
E-mail: archivio.provinciale@provincia.tn.it
http://www.trentinocultura.net/doc/sogg ... p_tn_h.asp

Sul tema vedi anche:

J. ANDERLE, Maternità  illegittima ed esposizione infantile nel Trentino dell'800: il triplice istituto delle Laste, in Studi trentini di scienze storiche, LX (1981), pp. 129-193.
Scarica il pdf dell'articolo
(per gentile concessione della Società  Studio trentini di scienze storiche)

C. GRANDI, L'abbandono degli illegittimi nel Trentino dell'Ottocento, in Enfance abandonnée et société en Europe, Roma, Ecole française de Rome, 1991, p. [653]-678.

C. GRANDI a cura di, Benedetto chi ti porta, maledetto chi ti manda: l'infanzia abbandonata nel Triveneto (secoli 15.-19.), Fondazione Benetton studi ricerche, Treviso - Canova, 1997.

It basically says that it was created an institute for the abandoned , illegitimate and foundling children... it was opened in Trento on 1 january 1833 and it was named: "Istituto delle partorienti e degli esposti in Trento", not just an hospital for the newborns but also for the women who wanted to give births to illegitimates child etc...
Since 1870 the head office of this institute was transfered to Innsbruck...

On the online database we cannot find the names of the children born in Institute but they suggest to ask to the state Archive in Trento because they keep the registers both for the mothers and of the children born in the Institute:

Istituto degli esposti, delle partorienti e dell'istruzione delle mammane alle Laste presso Trento.
Inventario dell'archivio (1833 - 1920)

http://www.trentinocultura.net/doc/sogg ... p_tn_h.asp

Have you tried to ask them?

After this reading I believe that the record for Manini Luigia Teresa could have been correct for your Great-grandmother, possibly she was given to the Institute after her birth and Baptism in Terzolas...

Laura

redwoodforest

Postby redwoodforest » 09 Jan 2011, 20:31

Hi Laura,

I will e-mail them! This is just what I was looking for. I can't thank you enough!

-Stephanie

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 10 Jan 2011, 07:46

I whish you good luck and please update your research here !... :D

Laura

redwoodforest

Postby redwoodforest » 10 Jan 2011, 18:20

Thank you - I will definitely let you know what I find out.
Stephanie

redwoodforest

Postby redwoodforest » 31 Mar 2011, 17:04

Hi Laura,

Just writing to let you know what I have found- I just heard back from the archives in Trento. They shared that they only have records until 1873 - the later archives are in Innsbruck (I had already checked with them - nothing). I asked if they thought that Teresa and Maddalena could be the same person - they said they didn't have enough info on Teresa to know. They said that the foundling could be entrusted to a family and keep their surname, or more rarely, could be adopted and the surname would be changed.
I am going to see if I can find out more about Teresa - if I find out that she married, then I know it's not the right person. There is also a family story that Maddalena went to the town where her mother lived to meet her, but her mother had died - so I will investigate Domenica too and see what I can find.
Thank you for all of your help.
-Stephanie

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 31 Mar 2011, 18:11

Thank you for the update Stephanie....
Having found no record for Maddalena I believe that the record about the daughter born from Domenica Manini could really be correct for Maddalena...

Pink67 wrote:Name: LUIGIA TERESA
Last name/Family name: MANINI
Father's name: --
Mother's name: DOMENICA
Mother's family name: MANINI
Year of birth: 20/12/1883
Parish: TERZOLAS - S. Nicolà

No father's name is listed...

redwoodforest wrote:Maddalena's parish marriage record from the United States lists her place of baptism as Innsbruck, Austria in March 1884.

This is possible being Luigia Teresa born at the end of the year 1883...

redwoodforest wrote:Her mother's name is listed as Domenica MANINI. There is no father's name listed.

these dates are matching too...

You're correct to investigate more both on Luigia Teresa and Domenica...

Are you familiar with the family History Centers? I noticed that they microfilmed the church records in Terzolas:

Title Registri ecclesiastici di Terzolas (Trento), 1720-1923
Authors Chiesa cattolica. Parrocchia di Terzolas (Trento) (Main Author)

Note Location
Film
Battesimi 1720-1923 Matrimoni 1732-1923 Morti 1732-1923
FHL INTL Film 1388651 Items 10-21

Maybe you should ask them help... This is the link to find your nearest Family History Center:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp

I think that the best thing for you to do now is to ask for the birth act (civil registration) for Luigia Teresa Manini, it could have listed new clues for your research...
http://www.comune.terzolas.tn.it/cms/in ... &Itemid=55

Comune di Terzolas
Piazza della Torraccia, 2
38027 Terzolas TN

Tel: 0463 901309
Fax: 0463 903850

Laura

redwoodforest

Postby redwoodforest » 08 Apr 2011, 17:41

Hi Laura,

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have requested the films from the FHC and I'm going to write to the commune! I appreciate all of your help.

-Stephanie

Return to “Italian Genealogy”