Mistretta family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kat2412
Rookie
Rookie

Mistretta family

Postby kat2412 » 12 Jan 2011, 04:56

Hello, I posted on this forum a few days ago requesting assistance trying to find Tomasino family, but it is looking like they may have naturalized, making me ineligible for dual citizenship :cry: . Now I will attempt to trace through my grandmother's lineage instead. Her maiden name is Mistretta.
grandmother - Patrina (pearl) Theresa Mistretta
grandmother's father - Vincent Mistretta (born around April 17, 1890) claimed to have come to America when he was 10 which means he (or the family) may have immigrated around 1900
grandmother's father's father - Carmelo Mistretta
grandmother's father's mother - Rosie Mistretta

I can not finding passenger lists for Carmelo, Vincent, and Rosie (all born in Italy, Rosie and Carmelo married in Italy)..
I do not know where they are from (I suspect Palermo) Vincent claimed his family came to American through the port of New Orleans. I have looked through passenger lists from Ellis Island and have not found records matching my family. I have had trouble locating New Orleans passenger lists to search for them. Any help would be appreciated as I have searched for many hours with no luck :oops: Thank you !!

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Mistretta family

Postby pink67 » 12 Jan 2011, 08:20

It seems that Vincenzo was born just a few years before the date you wrote:

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Vincent Mistretta
Name: Vincent Mistretta
City: New Orleans
County: Orleans
State: Louisiana
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 17 Apr 1887
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1684819
DraftBoard: 2

birth place: Palermo

at the time of this military enlistment he stated he was Naturalized...

image:
http://postimage.org/image/247itszj8/

Laura

kat2412
Rookie
Rookie

Postby kat2412 » 12 Jan 2011, 08:43

Pink67,

Thank you for this document! Sheesh, out of 4 great grandparents on father's side, it's looking like all 4 were naturalized. What unfortunate luck I have!

kat2412

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 12 Jan 2011, 10:36

Kat,

can you confirm that the WW1 draft registration card is for your great-grandfather?
He was living in New Orleans, 537 South Franklyn was married and had two children...

Laura

kat2412
Rookie
Rookie

Postby kat2412 » 12 Jan 2011, 23:20

Laura,

I am pretty sure this is him. But he may have lied about it or misunderstood the question because i know he couldn't read or write so this document is probably him, but he didn't write it down himself. I'm still going to check into it and see. I just don't understand at all how to obtain naturalization documentation. I don't know what exactly the document is that I have to get, or where to get it.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”