Searching for the Nardelli family in Compobasso Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
birdtalk64

Searching for the Nardelli family in Compobasso Italy

Postby birdtalk64 » 17 Jan 2011, 04:27

Hi I am new at this. My grandfather Michele Nardelli came to the US with his mother Maria Teresa Devito Nardelli when he was seven. My great grandfather's name was Tony or Anthonio Nardelli, born in 1883. We found my grandfathers birth records which are in Italian. On the certificate, there is figlio di antonio de di DEVITO Maria Teresa. Which I am assuming is his mother's name. But on the seal is the following below:

S. GIULIANO di PUGLIA
Providence of compobasso

When my family came here, they left a farm to the cousins and in 1950 my grandfather signed the property over to a Michael Nardelli. That is as much information as I have and I am trying to do two things. Research the rest of our family history, but also try and find out how to locate more information so that in March when I go to Compobasso, I know where to begin our search? Can anyone provide some advice on what is the best way to get started.
Thank you

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Searching for the Nardelli family in Compobasso Italy

Postby JohnArmellino » 17 Jan 2011, 04:54

San Giuliano di Puglia is a small comune in the province of Campobasso. It's located 55 km from the provincial capital of Campobasso. It's population is approximately 1500 people. La chiesa di San Giuliano Martire is a 18th century church built on the ruins of an earlier church. It features a valuable medieval doorway that dates back to 1300. Italian civil records are kept at the local level and will be found at the Registri dello Stato Civile. There may also be church records. Most of the small comuni do not have hotels, although some have small inns. However, there are several 3-star hotels in the city of Campobasso. That city also features many restaurants and other amenities. If you would like to do some research before your trip, the Registri dello stato civile di San Giiuliano di Puglia, 1809-1900, has been microfilmed by the LDS (Mormon Church). Go to www.familysearch.org for more information on what records are available and where to rent and view the films.
John Armellino

birdtalk64

Postby birdtalk64 » 17 Jan 2011, 05:01

Thank you so much! You have given me quite a bit of information to begin my search. It all feels a bit over whelming when you are not sure where to start. I have found more information today based on picking my remaining relatives minds. Its rather sad that we didnt take more stock in getting this information from my grandparents when they were alive. Now we are all scratching our heads and wondering where we came from. :)

Sirena
Elite
Elite

Postby Sirena » 17 Jan 2011, 22:59

My grandmother also came from S. Giuliano di Puglia. You may also want to check hotels in Termoli which to me is closer and is situated on the Adriatic Sea -- it's a beach resort-- if you love the ocean. SGP is about 20-30 min away. By any chance do you live in No. Attleboro?

Sirena
Elite
Elite

Postby Sirena » 17 Jan 2011, 23:01

Also, the films that John mentioned are excellent for such a small town. They are neatly written - and have alphabetical indexes which makes the search much faster.

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 18 Jan 2011, 00:03

San Giuliani di Puglia is just about the same distance from Termoli as it is from Campobasso. Sirena is correct in that Termoli is a beach resort. It also has many sites worth seeing. It would be a wise choice if you are simply touring. If you have a research trip in mind, remember that the provincial archives are in Campobasso. Copies of the civil records for the various towns located in the province are kept in the archives, making it easier to research multiple towns. If fact, the LDS filmed the civil records at the archives. So, the choice is simple: the beach or the archives. I think you'll have to either extend your stay or make two trips! LOL
John Armellino

birdtalk64

Postby birdtalk64 » 22 Jan 2011, 04:03

Sirena, I live in Ravensdale, Washington. Its about 30 miles from Seattle, Washington.

Thank you for all the details. We are actually adjusting our trip because we never thought we would ever get this close to where my grandpa came from. I am so excited.

I have a couple more questions and I am hoping you can help me with them. I heard that you have to go to the govenor to get permission to look at the records is that correct? Or are they available to the public?

To get to the films you speak of, can I request copies in advance or should I take a trip to my nearest Morman church (I have one right down the street and they have access to the files).

When we get to Compobasso, what do you recommend first to start our search? Go to the church San Giuliano di Puglia to see if they have records, or go to the capital of Compobasso?

I am very new at this and probably even use the wrong terminology for some of the areas to visit. I want to see if I can find more on my family and will have to be fairly quick about it. I will have my mom with me who has no patience for anything. LOL, so I had hoped to be able to take her to various places to keep her moving so she doesnt get bored. By doing that, I wanted to research as much as I could online.

thank you for your advice and guidance, your have both been so helpful.

I also have a question and not sure if you can help me with this. But as I search for the Nardelli name online ancestry.com, I come across so many of them all from Italy. Do you think there is a connection to the family name or do you know if this was a common name that people adopted because it had a certain meaning? I have found some nardelli's who are asking if I am related, but I dont know enough from my family to be able to tell. Thoughts or suggestions on how you narrow that stuff down would be most helpful.

thanks again1

Sirena
Elite
Elite

Postby Sirena » 23 Jan 2011, 01:41

Hi
I just saw this post and sent you a private message.
Definitely, go to see as many films as you can before you go to Italy.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”