Effects of 1857 Earthquake in Basilicata

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Effects of 1857 Earthquake in Basilicata

Postby lcafarel » 19 Jan 2011, 01:29

Does anyone know what the effects of the great 1857 earthquake were on Accettura and Laurenzana, Basilicata? I cannot find any information about the quake specific to these towns on the web, although there was considerable destruction in the area.

I'm also interested in any resources describing the movement of families from the area to other regions. I found a reference that some families were housed in Battapaglia, Salerno, Campania.

Thanks.

michele68
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Effects of 1857 Earthquake in Basilicata

Postby michele68 » 20 Jan 2011, 22:26

Hi
I have some books about the 1857 earthquake. I don't know if there are Accettura and Laurenzana. If you want I can see.
In the past my family went in Accettura from Padula, Salerno.
Bye, Michele
GENEALOGY SERVICES in Campania, Basilicata, Calabria regions, Italy

lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Effects of 1857 Earthquake in Basilicata

Postby lcafarel » 20 Jan 2011, 22:42

Hi, Michele! It would be wonderful if you could look in your books for anything specifically about Accettura and Laurenzana during the earthquake.

My husband's grandfather, Nicola Cafarelli, and at least one of his sisters were born in Accettura. I think two older brothers may have been born in Caserta, Campania. Their father was Vincenzo Cafarelli, and he was born in 1855, just before the earthquake.

I am thinking that Vincenzo may have been born in Accettura, and the family left during the earthquake and ended up in Caserta, where he may have met his wife, Grazie. He may have moved the family back to Accettura a few years later. This is a just a guess, and I am still looking for Vincenzo's documents. I'm interested in Laurenzana because there are so many Cafarellis there.

Thank you!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”