Looking for my roots

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
grdavanzo

Looking for my roots

Postby grdavanzo » 28 Jul 2004, 17:57

Hi i'm from Costa Rica, i'm trying to find something about my
greatgrandfather his name was Vincenzo D'Avanzo Vetrano , I think that he born in Avellino or Avella , how can i get a birth certificate but the problem is that i don't know when he born, he came to Costa Rica like in 1880 - 1888 , i know that i have to write to some office but i don't know the zip code or the address, can u help me?

ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Looking for my roots

Postby ptimber » 28 Jul 2004, 18:10

In order to obtain documents in Italy almost always you must go to the city,town or village of origin..where people are born. Once you know the town you might be able to obtain documents by submitting the complete name and approximate year of birth and if there are more facts such as parents first name or mothers maiden name that will help. What I suggest you do is if you are uncertain as to the town of birth that you go to the nearest family history library of the Mormon church and rent out the microcilm for the civil records of the town(s) you think he was born in and research his birth on or about the year(s) you approximate. I suppose there are no immigration records or "Registro Civil " records in Costa Rica that you can also research since he had to have una cedula or some type of identification issued to him in Costa rica which wiull furnish you witgh birth year and perhaps entry information. Did he arrive directly to Costa Rica or did he come in thru the USA. have you checked the www.ellisisland.org websitge for his arrival entroute to Costa Rica?? Please let me know. Peter

grdavanzo

Postby grdavanzo » 28 Jul 2004, 23:42

First thank you for your time. I already checked for the website that u said, but i didn't find anything, tomorrow im going to the nears mormon church to try to find something, i write you what happen ty

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 29 Jul 2004, 03:06

send e-mail (in Costa Rica) to Germanartus@@yahoo.com and jfernand@racsa.co.cr and ask them for information about tracing family in Costa Rica. Peter

grdavanzo

Postby grdavanzo » 04 Aug 2004, 07:06

Hi, i want to tell you that i have more informacion about my great grandfather , he born in Avella in 1856, he went to New orleans and them he came to Costa Rica. Now i want to write to the ufficio dello stato civile, because i want to have his birt certificate, but i don't know the addres of this office in Avella, Can you help me with that, again, please and what do i have to write if i want that they send my the certificate to Costa Rica?ty

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 04 Aug 2004, 07:50

Ufficio di stato civile, Comune di Avella PoSTALE 83021, Provincia Avellino, Campabia Italy.

Send form letter in Italian (go to www.circolocalabrese.org and bottom left for form letter) along with self addressed envelope and $5.00 US or EURO even though service is free.

You can also get copy of his birth record from family history library of Mormon church in Costa Rica nearest your home by renting Avella civil records of births,marriages and deaths micorfilm from 1809 to 1900. You can make copies of those records and his family as well. Peter

READJL

Postby READJL » 10 Feb 2005, 03:47

Hello.

My grandparents were from Avella. I've been there and have done the family tree thing.

I can tell you that the name D'Avanzo exists in Avella, it is probably the most common name in the town. My grandmother was D'Avanzo.

readjl@ameritech.net

grdavanzo

Postby grdavanzo » 07 Jan 2010, 15:06

Hi Peter.

After 6 years of looking around for papers of my ancesters, I have all the oficial papers of then, is really exiting to think about all the people who make possible that I am here in this world.

I want to obtain now the cittadinanza italiana, I going to start with the procedure this month.

Thank you Peter for all your help!!

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 07 Jan 2010, 15:11

I am very happy for your progress. Suerte. =Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”