Also Looking for Related Punzo's in Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Also Looking for Related Punzo's in Italy

Postby PunzoNewHaven » 22 Jan 2011, 15:25

This would be in Naples or Salerno I believe. I can't go back any farther than my great grandfather because I don't think they came to the US. Is there a way to do research in Italy like we can here?

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Also Looking for Related Punzo's in Italy

Postby liviomoreno » 22 Jan 2011, 16:02

According to Ellis Island Catello Punzo was from Atrani, which belongs to the Salerno Province. The distance between Atrani and Salerno is about 15 miles. See http://goo.gl/maps/QYYJ

PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Postby PunzoNewHaven » 22 Jan 2011, 16:19

Thank you. I have not been able to find on the sites I have visited any way to search back farther than Catello or get his wife's maiden name. Any hints on how to do this? I am very new to this as you can tell!
Researching Italian Surnames: Punzo, Ponzo, Mayo, Penza aka Panza, Polverari, Pucci and Proto.
Thanks to all the pros on these boards, you are all great!

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 22 Jan 2011, 16:26

Catello should be born in Atrani in 1886.
You may want to write to the Ufficio di Stato Civile in Atrani and ask for the birth act of Catello. This will show his parents and their age...

Form letters are available at http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resources/letters/

the address is

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via dei Dogi
84010 Atrani SA
Italy

PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Postby PunzoNewHaven » 23 Jan 2011, 11:36

I just noticed you live in Italy! Wow! That is my dream to visit Italy one day. I guess I am then asking the right person!

Catello stated on his form that he was born in Salerno, sailed from a port in Atriani, so should I write to Salerno?
I think someone helped me find his parents, so I would request theirs, hoping they too were born in Salerno?

My Italian spelling is NOT any good, I know know the dialect my grandmother spoke, she would say they were (this is what it sounded like) Napolidon. Which makes sense, her mother and father were from Naples. Now I am racking my brain here and she used to joke with my father saying his father's family was from where the criminals came from. Would that be Salerno? She didn't mean it of course, my grandfather who died before I was born was a real jokster from what I gather and she used to give it back to him.

On another note, she said my mother's family was Markie John. What does that mean?

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 23 Jan 2011, 11:52

Catello Punzo sailed from Naples.
As I suggested in my previous post write to Atrani.
If you want you may send the same request also to Salerno.

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Roma
84121 Salerno SA
Italy

Return to “Italian Genealogy”