Any Hints on Maiden Names

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Any Hints on Maiden Names

Postby PunzoNewHaven » 23 Jan 2011, 14:16

Has anyone had luck finding maiden names that I am missing? I have tried entering their married names and I keep getting the 1930 census or even the 1900, the 1930 they were already married, and the 1900 they were too young.
I also did a marriage records search and it has nothing for either great grandfather, even more strange is that I know they were married, because my g-grandmother lived with my father when they were kids after my g-grandfather passed plus the last name, but on his death certificate it states that he was single? Is that odd?

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Any Hints on Maiden Names

Postby misbris » 23 Jan 2011, 21:37

Women in Italy keep their maiden names. If you look for ship's manifest you will find maiden names. if you are talking about women born in US, it is difficult unless census has parents or siblings living with them.

PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Postby PunzoNewHaven » 24 Jan 2011, 11:03

Wow, I didn't know that! Thank you. Do the children in Italy take the mother's or father's last name? I need to do some basic research prior to jumping to the family tree. Embarrassing, college education and I know nothing of my own ancestry.

I did find an unbelievable stroke of luck yesterday. I went to my dad's and we went through all the old photo albums on his mother's side (Plano) and someone, we don't know who, had a picture that looks to have been taken in Italy with the family history back 3 generations with all the maiden names. I was jumping up and down like a little kid!
We have been through those pictures before and neither one of us had ever seen it, we were astonished!

misbris wrote:Women in Italy keep their maiden names. If you look for ship's manifest you will find maiden names. if you are talking about women born in US, it is difficult unless census has parents or siblings living with them.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 24 Jan 2011, 14:34

Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 24 Jan 2011, 15:43

That was a stroke of good luck.

Children take the name of the father. However, sometimes on ship's manifests if mother and minor children are travelling together they show up under mother's name. If they are listed under father's name it is easy to find maiden name of mother.

Also sometimes on the manifest, if a person is leaving a mother or wife in italy mother's or wife's maiden name is listed. (Easier to find a woman in Italy than in US) :wink:

PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Postby PunzoNewHaven » 25 Jan 2011, 10:36

Thank you! That had me very confused. Except for Catello (ggf's) wife I am doing OK, she is my big stumbling block. Can't find her coming over because Catello came as a child, and she must have also. By the time of the census they were already married.
I said "DAD! How can you not know your grandmother's maiden name, she lived with you guys!" He said "We were teenagers, we didn't think of that stuff!" Ugh! :)

misbris wrote:That was a stroke of good luck.

Children take the name of the father. However, sometimes on ship's manifests if mother and minor children are travelling together they show up under mother's name. If they are listed under father's name it is easy to find maiden name of mother.

Also sometimes on the manifest, if a person is leaving a mother or wife in italy mother's or wife's maiden name is listed. (Easier to find a woman in Italy than in US) :wink:

Return to “Italian Genealogy”