Looking for Plutino and La Rosa families from Gallico

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
michfish

Looking for Plutino and La Rosa families from Gallico

Postby michfish » 29 Jul 2004, 18:55

My maiden name is Plutino. I was orphaned at the age of 12 and know very little about the Plutino side of my family. I do know that I my grandfather's name was Domenico Plutino. I beleive he was born in 1887/88 His wife's name was either Rosa La Rosa or Anna La Rosa, born in 1894/95. Not sure of specific year because of conflicting info I have found on Passenger Lists and the 1930 census. They immigrated to the US in 1921. According to the Ellis Island records, they came from Gallico, Reggio di Calabria. I believe that Domenico had a brother named Agostino Plutino who came to the US in 1903 from Gallina. All of my aunts and uncles from the Plutino line were estranged from me when I was a child and now are all deceased. I have lost track of all my cousins as well.

I was told that most of my grandmother's relatived died in the Messina earthquake of 1908. I am concerned that this earthquake may make tracing my family's roots difficult. I would love to be able to get more information on my grandparents and their parents etc. Can anyone suggest where I should start looking? I would be grateful for any information.

ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Plutino and La Rosa families from Gallico

Postby ptimber » 29 Jul 2004, 20:24

Gallico has civil records dating back to 1866 and Gallico Inferiore to 1809 as well as Gallico Superioe to 1809. The Famiuly History Library has them on micorfilm which you can rent out for a nminal fee if you do not already know the location. Should you rquire more information as to seeking militarty records or other information please let me know snce I do not know how much you know and don't know. Peter

michfish

Postby michfish » 30 Jul 2004, 18:54

I do not know too much. I only know my grandparent's names and when they immigrated to the US. They died before I was born and I have lost contact with everyone from that side of the family.

I have a letter from a cousin that told me where they are buried in NY and I have someone from RAOGK looking into finding their tombstone for me. I would like to find out their real dates of birth and death. I would also love to find out who their parents were. Would the FHC have that information?

I also know that my grandfather's brother, Agostino, moved to Argentina. No one is sure if he ever married. Is there someone in Italy that I can write to to obtain this information about my grandparents?

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 30 Jul 2004, 19:46

If you re-read what i advisedd which was to go to the Family History Library and rent out the micorfilm records for Gallico you would have the information. If you wish to write to the town then thats another story. What is RAOGK? Did you check to see if they were lkisted in the social security detah index? After 1963 all social scurity recipients are listed. There it will show the last place they resided by county and state. it also shows theiur brith and death dates.

By the way if you knew your grandparents names when they immigrated to the USA, did you happen to go to the www.ellisisland.org website for the remaining information as to birthyear and other vital data? Peter

michfish

Postby michfish » 30 Jul 2004, 20:42

Yes, I did check out the SSDI and there was no record. They both died prior to 1960. I do have information from the Ellis Island website. That was actually the first piece of information I found on them and it was very exciting since no one else in my family knew much about them or just forgot.

RAOGK is "Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness" - an organization of volunteers who will visit cemetaries for you, take digital photos of tombstones, get info from the cemetary office if possible, and some do lookup for local records.

I realize I need to go to the Family History center and I plan to this weekend. I guess I was just hoping tht I would be able to find out more online first or maybe even find someone online who was related. But I guess it's usually not that easy. Thanks for your suggestions.

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 30 Jul 2004, 20:51

There is a Dr. La Rosa in Gallico who may be related tfo you., Go to www.paginebianche.it and put in La Rosa in the fikrst line and Gallico in the third line and click CERCA. Write him a letter and ask him about your family. You can either write in Italian or simpole sentences since english is tghe second languiage int he schools and can be translated easy enough by the kids. Peter

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 30 Jul 2004, 22:53

You may wish to look at the passenger records again.

It stated that the family left Rosa's step-father, Natale Gangemi, in Gallico. And while Domenico lived there, he was not born in Gallico according to the manifest. Rather, he was born in Colonna. This is where his birth record would be.

In addition, on the following page from Domenico's record, is Rosa's entry with son Salvatore. Rosa is listed as having been naturalized...# 2-613760 with a date of 6/21/40 and Salvatore was also naturalized...#2-586750 with a date of 10-3-38. This paperwork can be accessed and will probably provide additional information for your. Nothing mentioned about Domenico being naturalized...though the 1930 census does indicate that first papers had been filled out. Again, that paperwork should be availbable and should contain at least the name of his parents.

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 30 Jul 2004, 23:32

Since your in such good hands with essgee you can think about your distant cosuin in Argentina. There is only one Plutino so she must be the one!!. Her name is:

BEATRIZ CATALINA PLUTINO
Parmaso E/A SOBRAL y F YUNKA
VIRREY DEL PINO, BUENOSIRES< AZRGENTINA

Her telephone # is 02202-49-3127

Drop her a line andsee what she knows. Peter

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 31 Jul 2004, 12:41

Hi: are only an record for italian Plutino surname emigrated in Argentina, Silvestro Plutino, age 20 in 1911:
Cognome
PLUTINO

Nome
SILVESTRO

Parentela
X

Stato civile
Celibe/Nubile

Professione
BRACCIANTE

Religione
CATOLICA

Porto d'imbarco
GENOVA

Nave
RAVENNA

Data d'arrivo
18-06-1911

Istruzione
Sa

Classe
Terza

--suanj

michfish

Postby michfish » 31 Jul 2004, 18:03

Wow! I just want to thank everyone for their help. I cannot tell you how exciting this is for me! No one in whatever is left of my family knows any of this. I am off to the Family History Center today to do some searching. This information you have all provided me will be very helpful and help point me in the right direction.

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 31 Jul 2004, 18:09

......and don't forget to call your cousin in Argentina! Peter

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 31 Jul 2004, 18:12

michfish wrote:Wow! I just want to thank everyone for their help. I cannot tell you how exciting this is for me! No one in whatever is left of my family knows any of this. I am off to the Family History Center today to do some searching. This information you have all provided me will be very helpful and help point me in the right direction.

Hi, in italian language, are wrote on Silvestro Plutino :
Cognome =surname
PLUTINO

Nome =first name
SILVESTRO

Parentela =relationship with other travellers (X=nobody)
X

Età =age

Sesso =gender
M

Stato civile =no married
Celibe/Nubile0single(celibe for male person, nubile for female person no married)

Professione =profession
BRACCIANTE =worker

Religione
CATTOLICA =catholic

Porto d'imbarco =port of departure
GENOVA

Nave =name ship
RAVENNA

Data d'arrivo =date of arrival
18-06-1911 =day, month, year

Istruzione=able to write, to read
Sa

Classe=ticket on ship
Terza =III° class
regards, suanj

augerp

Postby augerp » 02 Jul 2010, 23:48

Hi, my maiden name is also Plutino. My father, Rocco Plutino came from Gallico in 1951, to Canada. He was the son of Giuseppe Plutino, who had many brothers. One of his brothers was Sebastiano Plutino - he was a priest in Rome. Also, his brother Francesco, emigrated to Argentina after the war.
I am not sure that I know the rest of the family. I hope I have helped you in some way. I have relatives - two aunts - who live in Greenwich Conn. They are Giovanna Bueti and Catalina Fiorito. Their maiden name is Plutino. I know that in North America, Plutino is a rather rare name. Good luck in finding your heritage.

apiapibij

Postby apiapibij » 04 Jul 2010, 14:39

"Rather, he was born in Colonna"
That surely must be Calanna, now a fraction of Reggio Calabria.
The name Plutino is from Greek origin (Plotinos) and means "became rich". I do not now if you now anything about the "Area Graecanica" north of Reggio Calabria.
About Gallina (till 1865 Sant'Agata in Gallina, because the town was founded and populated by inhabitants of the during the 1783 earthquake destroyed city of Sant'Agata) there are some indices on my website http://www.benvanrijswijk.com/fontigenealogiche.htm

rgrmom

Postby rgrmom » 08 Sep 2011, 17:54

my husband is a plutino from reggio calabria--altho home place was palizzi

Return to “Italian Genealogy”