Has anyone hired this guy to find records in Sicily?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
suz1154
Rookie
Rookie

Has anyone hired this guy to find records in Sicily?

Postby suz1154 » 28 Jan 2011, 14:25

Has anybody used a gentleman named Giovanni Montanti to lookup and take copies of documents for them? If so, please let me know if felt he was honest and trustworthy. Thank you.

suz1154
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Has anyone hired this guy to find records in Sicily?

Postby suz1154 » 28 Jan 2011, 16:18

I tried getting copies of birth records from the LDS. I got one roll of film with 4 documents on it, but all 4 are really hard to read--let alone try to translate. This guy sent me an e-mail offering his services. I was surprised that he is really reasonably priced--$30 per document, which includes translation. I had sent him a $40 retainer fee, but was hoping somebody had more info on him before sending any more money.

Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Bette » 29 Jan 2011, 05:05

I have heard both pros and cons about this gentleman. But, I have never hired him or any other researcher. One suggestion regarding microfilmed records...if you can get them scanned digitally, you can use Photoshop to clean them up and make them more legible.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 29 Jan 2011, 10:06

Since the records are pretty much forms filled in you don't need a translation as such. Translations can be found on line. Its an interpretation that has more value in my opinion.
$30 a document is reasonable if he is not charging mileage on top.
If you can't find any references for him then pay for one document first to make sure he is supplying what he promises before sending him the balance.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Return to “Italian Genealogy”