newbie..looking for greatparents - Paci in Monte San Savino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sunniedays

newbie..looking for greatparents - Paci in Monte San Savino

Postby sunniedays » 29 Jan 2011, 15:25

Hi everyone. thanks so much for any help that you can give. Trying to find current relatives in Italy for my Uncle (he's 75) and myself. My grandfather immigrated in 1913 (found Ellis Island record) from Monte San Savino in Tuscany. I believe there were 18 siblings but only he and a brother (brother's wife and child went back to Italy no info) came to U.S. I'm trying to find out my GGP names so I can track my Grandfather's brothers and sisters and then their children, etc. I'm confused on where to start, with my grandfather's U.S. records or in Italy and how. I have some names from an old postcard and from Uncle but I'm already finding discrepancies from what my Uncle remembers so not sure who they are. I already did search of Paci name in the Paginebianche.it link from this site and got some names but not sure if that's the right route to go. I've been reading about geneaology searches but I'm getting lost in so much info. Anyway it's a really interesting field and I'm excited about finding out about my Italian ancestors and relatives.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: newbie..looking for greatparents - Paci in Monte San Sav

Postby Tessa78 » 29 Jan 2011, 15:30

Hi and welcome! :-)

You may wish to write to one or two of the Paci listings you found in the Paginebianch...

Help with etters in Italian to potential relatives...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... #relatives
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 29 Jan 2011, 15:31

Can you post the Ellis Island record for us?

And maybe provide some details about your grandfather...
Usually best to start with US records and work back...

T.

sunniedays

Postby sunniedays » 29 Jan 2011, 15:39

Thank you so much. I'll get together the Ellis record and post. I'm also going to try to find the web site for the town Monte San savino, if one exists. I'm trying to go through past discussions to learn basics.

sunniedays

Postby sunniedays » 29 Jan 2011, 17:00

Hi. I went back to the Ellis Island site. I found the first name of his mother on the second page of the manifest which I hadn't noticed before! It looked like Annabile (possibly Ammabile) but could not read what was written after her first name, though it should be Paci or could it be her maiden name? That first name matches a name written on the back of a photo postcard I have (again not sure Annabile or Ammabile).

Passenger Record:
Giovanni Paci
Ethnicity: Italy, South
Last Place of Residence: Monte S. Savino, Italy
Date of Arrival: Aug. 26, 1913
Ship of Tran: Europa
PODeparture: Genoa, Italy

I found the official comune site for Monte San Savino. Now I guess I have to write for his birth record? Are these records on-line anywhere? Maybe at FamilySearch or Family History Center?

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 29 Jan 2011, 18:06

I am posting the manifest for reference.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0022

p2

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0022

Manifest is a little hard to read because it is so light, but I think the mother's last name is Amabile, not her first name. I can't tell what the first name is , but it starts with a B.

sunniedays

Postby sunniedays » 30 Jan 2011, 19:23

I spoke w my uncle and he says he is almost sure that his grandmother's name was Amabile and that his grandfather died at a relatively young age but he does not know his grandfather's 1st name. Do I need to find the marriage certificate of my uncle's grandparents so I can then find birth records of their 18 children? I only know the names of one of his brothers for sure. I'm not sure where to go from here. Do I write to the Civil Records office in Monte San Savino?

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 30 Jan 2011, 20:27

There are about 15 people in town with the name Paci. if your GGf had 18 children, they are probably all related to you. Here is some info on the town.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/051/025/index.html

Did you find the brother's manifest? What was his name?

sunniedays

Postby sunniedays » 30 Jan 2011, 22:42

I found only 6 people with the name of Paci and I guess a few businesses. I want to write to them but I thought I should have a bit more information such as the names of all the 18 siblings. Maybe that's not necessary though.

I didn't think of getting the manifest of my grandfather's brother, Carlo. I'm going to go do that now though I don't know exactly when he came just have an idea it was soon after WWI because he fought in Italy.

Thanks. This can get sort of addicting.

sunniedays

Postby sunniedays » 31 Jan 2011, 11:28

Went through Ellis Island passenger lists and could not find a Carlo Paci at all and then went through a list of Italian 1st names to see if there was something similar to search but that didn't work. We think he came over sometime shortly after WWI. Could there be other lists to check or could he have come in through another port? Anyone have any ideas?

Return to “Italian Genealogy”