Visiting Molise - now what?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
saros

Visiting Molise - now what?

Postby saros » 02 Feb 2011, 22:29

In a few weeks I'll be visiting Italy once again, this time with a chance to visit the villages near Campobasso where my ancestors are from. I've basically traced everything I can through immigration records and civil records (via LDS films) back to around 1800. I know the few towns I'm interested in and am mostly visiting just to see them. I'm wondering, other than some sightseeing, is there anything useful (genealogically) that I can do while there? I'm mostly dealing with very small towns (2500 people or less).

dangli
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Visiting Molise - now what?

Postby dangli » 03 Feb 2011, 02:38

I think most people would recommend using church records now to go back beyond what you already have.

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 03 Feb 2011, 06:32

You might want to visit the provincial archives in Campobasso. Copies of the civil records of the various towns in the province are kept there, which makes it easier to search multiple towns. In addition, the notary records are kept there. These records date back to the 16th century. They also have quite a few very old maps of the area. Which villages near Campobasso are your ancestors from?
John Armellino

saros

Postby saros » 03 Feb 2011, 13:53

Fossalto, Pietracupa, Civitacampomarano and Castropignano.

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 03 Feb 2011, 16:37

You might want to rent a car, stay in the city of Campobasso as your base, and visit your towns as day trips. Three of your towns are about 10-15 miles from Campobasso and Civitacampomarano is still only 25 miles away. That's what I do when I go. My towns are Busso, Oratino, Ferrazzano, Montagano, Pietracatella, Ripalimosani, and a few others. Campobasso has better hotels and more restaurants and shops than the small towns, which often have no accommodations. And, of course, the provincial archives are located there.
John Armellino

Return to “Italian Genealogy”