Civil record - Pagani?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lilbees
Master
Master

Civil record - Pagani?

Postby lilbees » 04 Feb 2011, 17:37

Who would hold the civil records for Pagani, Salerno, Campania? I know I can write to the Salerno Archives but would like to know if this comune would have a civil records office.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Civil record - Pagani?

Postby liviomoreno » 04 Feb 2011, 18:13

Every Comune has his own ufficio di stato civile

The address in Pagani is

Comune di Pagani Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza B. D'Arezzo
84016 Pagani SA
Italy

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 04 Feb 2011, 21:00

lilbees wrote:Who would hold the civil records for Pagani, Salerno, Campania? I know I can write to the Salerno Archives but would like to know if this comune would have a civil records office.

lilbees

2 years ago, a my US friend, after several emails and letters in Pagani asking genealogical records and certificates, never having reply, and he obtained the infos only by the help of a relative in Pagani( contacted by me) ; well, also the italian relative and resident in Pagani had problems, and after so much pressing she had the certificates... so maybe Salerno archive is a more easy..

suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 04 Feb 2011, 22:26

Thank you Livio and Suanj.

I think you are quite right. The Archives is really responsive and will let me know if the information is available.

Lately the Archives has let me know what register years are actually available for the specific comune I was working with. I wrote that comune and asked if they had registers for the years the Archives was missing. As it turned out, they did have some of them which was a big help in retrieving some of the older records I needed.

Again, like anything else, all I can do is make requests to the Archives.

I noticed that the Mayor of Pagani was elected and has served 2002 to present. :wink: If inquiries were made during that time period by Suanj I don't believe I will have any luck either. Many of his councilmen and administrators have also served during that time periodas well.

I should also add, there were changes in administration in the comune I was working with elsewhere. Much more responsive. :)

Thank you both again.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 07 Feb 2011, 12:33

I'm from Pagani, and my mother still lives there. I must say I had problems with searches in Town Offices. I had less with searches in one of the main churches (S.Felice & Corpo di Cristo). So, if you need something from the church, just let me know.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 07 Feb 2011, 15:24

Thanks PippoM.

At this point it would be nice to have Cecilia Calabrese's baptism record. I have the parents information from her death record.

Damiano Calabrese
Francesca Pagano

Cecilia would have been born abt. 1774. One of those "would be nice" is any siblings information.

Let me know what you think.

lilbees

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 08 Feb 2011, 12:29

OK!
I'll write a note, so, when I go there for my searches, I will also look for yours. You wrote date of birth is 1774, is that right? It' s right far in the past!
Anyway, you wouldn't find a birth record in town offices, because in Southern Italy thay start from about 1805.

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 08 Feb 2011, 12:55

Thanks. I do know civil records would not be available prior to 1806 or so. I realize the church may have baptism recods back that far. At least I hope so.

I would also look for possible marriage as well of Cecilia Calabrese and Gennaro Rescigno circa 1788-1800 in Pagani.

They are my 3x great grandparents. I have most of the records of their children born 1795-1813 in Roccapiemonte where they lived after marriage and their death records.

Anything you can find would be appreciated.

lilbees

jmtcal

Postby jmtcal » 12 Apr 2011, 15:56

PippoM wrote:OK!
I'll write a note, so, when I go there for my searches, I will also look for yours. You wrote date of birth is 1774, is that right? It' s right far in the past!
Anyway, you wouldn't find a birth record in town offices, because in Southern Italy thay start from about 1805.

Pippo,

Do you have access to Basilica Saint Alfonso in Pagani? Do you know if they have Birth/Marriage/Death records available?

Thanks,

John

PippoM
Master
Master

Postby PippoM » 13 Apr 2011, 07:55

Hi John,
if I remember, saint Alfonso's Basilica does not have old records.
If you are looking for records before 1930 (let's say), the one place you can find them in Pagani is Church of Saint Felice and Corpus Christi. I was there two years ago, and I'd like to go there again next summer for my searches.
Anyway, I'm going to Pagani next week-end, so, if you can be more precise, I might ask for info about where to search...

Return to “Italian Genealogy”