John Podesta (Podestra)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Anjacouto

John Podesta (Podestra)

Postby Anjacouto » 07 Feb 2011, 07:02

Very new at this. Looking for any assistance to trace history of my Grandfather who may have been a lodger in Camberwell, London, UK during the 1920s. I have his letter signed "John" and some family members have said that last name was Podestra. He was a patient at Mildmay Mission Hospital, Hackney near Shorditch, UK in 1948 and likely died there. Have been unable to trace any records including anything from his son (my father) as this relationship was covered up by his side of the family - and my father was given a different surname. Not looking to pry - just would like to know his background (and mine!) a bit more. My father was born in 1926 (he died in 2006). John Podestra would therefore have been in UK from 1920's through the 40's. Any info. gratefully appreciated.

jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Re: John Podesta (Podestra)

Postby jamiecapaldi » 07 Feb 2011, 07:59

Have you got auntie and uncles called:

william
Mary
Edward
Leonard
Leslie
Eileen
Ellen
and is youir Father Charles?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk

Anjacouto

Postby Anjacouto » 07 Feb 2011, 16:36

Thx. for your speedy reply. Unfortunately, none of the names you mentioned are a match - although I have virtually no info. at this point on the John Podest(r)a side. My grandmother's name was Jessie Louisa, and my father was Ronald Joseph. Surnames on my father's maternal side include Colwell, Giles, Mills.

daddymuzza
Veteran
Veteran

Postby daddymuzza » 07 Feb 2011, 18:26

if yer no fast yer last !!!

jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Postby jamiecapaldi » 07 Feb 2011, 20:30

I think your father was born Ronald J Barrett, 1926 Camberwell.
His Father was recorded as Cecil G Barrett, and Mother Jessie L Colwell.
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk

Anjacouto

Postby Anjacouto » 12 Feb 2011, 07:04

Jessie Louisa Barrett (Colwell) was my grandmother. She was married to Percy George Barrett - although he was not the father of my father - that is the Podest(r)a connection that I'm trying to figure out. I was told that my grandfather's name was John Podest(r)a and that he was from northern Italy. He was a lodger at Jessie Barrett's house for a period of time (approx. around 1926). I have no knowledge of a Cecil Barrett. I am attempting to trace records from the letter I have from John P. when he was a patient at the Mildmay Mission Hospital, but appreciate very much any additional help anyone can offer.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”