Carmela Gioscia Update

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Carmela Gioscia Update

Postby bkworm10 » 07 Feb 2011, 20:38

Today I decided to send away for what may be Carmela's second marriage in Philadelphia, in the hopes that it is the right person and will give me more clues, if it is.

Last week, I emailed Accettura again for Carmela's birth act. I discovered today, that I had emailed them back in November and heard nothing. So that again confirmed my thoughts that she just was not born in Accettura.

Well guess what showed up in my mailbox today?! Her birth act from Accettura. Maybe my original request was lost. It really doesn't matter...because now I know her date of birth and her parents names and a new surname! She was born in Accettura in 1863 and her parents were Felice Gioscia and Isabella Divona.

So now I plan to order the microfilm (since what they sent me is an extract and doesn't have as much info as the original) and hopefully find out her grandfathers' names.

I am so excited - 6 months ago I only knew one surname on my Italian side. Now in my direct line I have 12 new surnames, all from Accettura!

I couldn't have done it without all your help! Thanks so much!

Annette

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Carmela Gioscia Update

Postby maestra36 » 07 Feb 2011, 20:57

Annette
I am so happy for you. Perseverance and patience have certainly paid off. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Peg

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 07 Feb 2011, 21:14

Thanks Peg!

Since, Gioscia is a very uncommon name in Accettura (I haven't seen one yet in all the microfilmed records I've look at already), I'm guessing that Felice or Felice's father came from Laurenzano, where there are many Gioscia's in the online records at ancestry. Divona is a common name in Accettura.

I have one more question - Carmela had 3 daughters that I know of. The first Teresa Sarricchio (my g-grandmother) is named after her paternal grandmother Teresa Valentino. The second, Isabella Sarricchio is named after her maternal grandmother Isabella Divona. The 3rd daughter was named Francesca. Whom would she be named after?

Thanks! Annette

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 07 Feb 2011, 21:31

Annette
There's no hard and fast rule about the naming of a third daughter or even of a second daughter, for that matter. The third daughter may have been named for a sibling of either her father or mother, or possibly even for a grandparent's sibling. In my paternal grandmother's family, my grandmother, the oldest daughter, was named for her paternal grandmother, the second daughter, however, was named for her mother's one sister who had recently died, and the third daughter was named for the maternal grandmother. These are my ancestors from the town of Stigliano in Matera Province. You just never know. In some of my ancestral towns, there is no rhyme or reason to the naming patterns of the children. Occasionally a child was named for the saint on whose feast day it was born, as in the case of my great grandfather. He was a Pietro and there were no Peters at all in the ancestry. He just happened to be born on St Peter's Day.
Peg

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 07 Feb 2011, 22:04

Peg,

Thanks for the explanation. She also named her firstborn son (he was her 4th child and she had him over here in America) Rocco and I don't have any idea where that came from either. The two grandfather's were Francesco and Felice.

Thanks! Annette

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 07 Feb 2011, 22:07

You're welcome, Annette. It's just one of those things which may remain a mystery.
Peg

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 07 Feb 2011, 23:07

I have another question - I am ordering the microfilms for Carmela's birth year and her husband Vito Sarricchio's birth year (1863 and 1860).

Since they married in Accettura, will there be notations on their birth acts stating that? I can't find their marriage processetti because the years I think they married (1881 or 1882) are missing on the microfilm. :-(

Also, if Carmela returned to Accettura and died there (which is possible, I don't know what happened to her), will that notation be on her birth act as well?

Thanks! Annette

maestra36
Master
Master

Postby maestra36 » 08 Feb 2011, 00:40

Annette
Even though I have piles and piles of microfilmed Italian state civil records from various towns, I have very few that have marriage info in the margin of the birth record, and I don't think I have any with death info. I know I do have birth records for two sons whose father died in WWI, and the father's death info is in the margin of both of their birth records but not in the margin of his own birth record. There doesn't seem to be a rule as to whether or not a town's records will have such notations. Also the records with the notations that I do have are only from the latter part of the 1800s and early 1900s and not earlier. But others on this forum have had earlier records with all kinds of marriage notations on their records. I think it just depends on how a particular town decided to handle things.
Peg

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 08 Feb 2011, 01:55

Thanks Peg! As I looked through the microfilm I have seen some notations, both marriage and death. But not a whole lot of notations. Hopefully I'll get lucky, since it seems I can't find their marriage records.

Annette

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 09 Feb 2011, 02:37

The marriage records you were looking at were they form ones or freehand records because Ive found some freehand stuck between form records they were my great grandfathers marriage records they were all freehand written

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 09 Feb 2011, 21:06

Marty,

They were a combination of both - freehand and forms.

Unfortunately, the entire years of 1881 and 1882 are missing on the microfilm and those are the years I think they got married.

Annette

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 10 Feb 2011, 00:54

Well good luck keep it going your doing great job on the translations like Peg says the more you read the better you will get. Another way you could go is the State Archives in Italy each province has its own archive. Most records of genealogical value are kept by provincial archives. They serve as repositories for records about their particular area.
Records of genealogical value at provincial archives include:
Church records (some)
Civil registration
Census
Court records
Military records
Notarial records
Address
Archivio di Stato
Provincia di Matera
Via Stigliani 25
75100 Matera,Italy
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 10 Feb 2011, 01:25

Thanks Marty - I will look into pursuing those records next. Can I use the same form letters that I have used for the Accettura Commune?

Annette

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 10 Feb 2011, 02:52

Yes you can just fill in the blanks Good luck Annette

Marty

Marty

Return to “Italian Genealogy”