search for Nujjetta, a town near Naples

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
GiordanoTadeo

search for Nujjetta, a town near Naples

Post by GiordanoTadeo »

Can anyone help me locate a place called Nujjetta? It is where both my great grandparents were born. My great grandfather, Vincenzo Giordano born in Nujjetta (near Naples) January 23, 1877 and my great grandmother Rosalia Tadeo born in Nujjetta December 27, 1883. He came to America in 1904 and brought Rosalia, his wife, in 1905.

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Susan Martin
susanmartin7007@yahoo.com
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: search for Nujjetta, a town near Naples

Post by liviomoreno »

I could not find any location with a similar name. Could you please post the document containing this info so that we can verify the spelling?
Thanks
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Susan.

if this is the correct 1905 arrival manifest for Rosalina Taddeo, then she stated that she was coming from Nocera Inferiore - Salerno Province - Campania region

Boston Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1943
about Rosolino Caddeo
Name: Rosolino Caddeo
Arrival Date: 31 Jul 1905
Estimated birth year: abt 1884
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Canopic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Vincenzo Prindaus
Last Residence: Italy

Rosolina Taddeo, age 22, female, married, occupation seamstress, from Nocera Inferiore to Chicago, IL, to join her husband Vincenzo Giordano

Image, from Ancestry.com:

http://postimage.org/image/yu4gyjz8/

Laura
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Looks like a printing or reading error, Laura by Ancestry's people good find!!

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
GiordanoTadeo

Post by GiordanoTadeo »

You guys are geniuses!!!
GiordanoTadeo

Post by GiordanoTadeo »

I have also been trying to find Vincenzo Giordano, her husband but nothing matches the ship manifestos correctly. My grandmother gave me lots of information on her parents (Vincenzo & Rosalia) and even wrote in her own hand that they were born in "Nujjetta, near Naples". Vincenzo & Rosalia spoke only broken English thier whole lives and thier 11 children only spoke English, with a few Italian phrases like "Statta Zitta". She used to say that to me and my brothers. She said it meant "Hey you, shut up!"

After I figure out Vincenzo's correct manifest information, we can all begin to figure out our Italian ancestry.

Thank you all again so much! You have no idea! Okay, you probably hear that all teh time, so maybe you do!

Susan
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

You're welcome Susan... :D

This is a possible 1905 arrival manifest for Vincenzo:

20 february 1905:

Giordano Vincenzo, age 27 (approx birth year 1878), married, from Nocera Inferiore to Chicago to join his brother in law Vincenzo Ruggiero on 190 Taylor street:

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0014

Laura
GiordanoTadeo

Post by GiordanoTadeo »

There are a few intriguing mysteries with Vincenso & Rosalia and I hope those of you who understand Italian culture, especially from early 1900s, will respond:

1. Vincenzo is said to have had a 1st wife and Rosalia was his 2nd wife. The first wife was never really spoken of.
2. One of their families was unhappy with the marriage of Vincenzo and Rosalia because one of them came from the "wrong side of the tracks" which was the cause of the two of them coming to America. One or both are supposed to have come from a family with vineyards. Vincenzo sent money home to Italy every week or month and there was talk of him keeping in touch with them until the war. It could be that political beliefs divided them.

3. Since they did not have children that we know of until they reached America, is it safe to assume they had gotten married just before he left Italy? Thier first child was born in May 1906.

4. Where would one find out where the Giordano's from Nocera Ingeriore (or the mysterious Nujjetta...perhaps a fractiore?) lived?

Once again, any thoughts are appreciated!
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Susan,
in Southern Italy, at that time, it was not easy to put an end to un unhappy marriage; divorce was not allowed, and there was a strict control of society upon those who didn't follow the rules.
So, it often happened that those who wanted to start a new life with someone new, or undergo such control, just left their country (may be it was not the case of your ggfather, but it was usual).
For instance, in 1876/77 my gggfather on paternal side suddenly left his pregnant wife with six other children in Nocera, and left to Argentina. Years later it was known that he had started a new family there.
Also my ggmother on my maternal side was left alone by her husband, who went to USA. She met another man, but she couldn't marry him, as she was already married. They couldn't have children, but they "adopted" my gfather.
If you want to know where they lived when they were in Nocera, some answer could be found in the archives of the Commune of Nocera Inferiore. For instance, in their marriage deed there should be their address.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I also want to add that in neapolitan dialect, Nocera could sound something like "Nou tcher", and it must be really hard for somone who did not speak Italian (and neapolitan is quite different) to write a word they've never read. Also, I know the place, and I don't know any hamlet or village spelled something like "Nujjetta".

adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Here is the address for the Comune
Comune Di Nocera Inferiore
Via Libroia Raffaele, 2
84014 Nocera Inferiore (SA)
Italy
Some info and form letter to write a letter in Italian for records
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
GiordanoTadeo

Post by GiordanoTadeo »

Once again, you all are so helpful! I will follow your clues and see what I can find out.

If any of you needs help finding anything in America, let me know and I will help you.

Susan
GiordanoTadeo

Update on Nocera and Giordano Taddeo

Post by GiordanoTadeo »

I took your advice and wrote to the officials in Campania/Nocera Inferiore requesting specific and all documents on Vincenzo Giordano and Rosalia Taddeo (my ggparents). I included $20.00 American cash and a self addressed stamped envelope for their return documents. That was 5 months ago and I have not heard back.

I have since learned about Itallian marriage banns that my ggparnets would have been required to post 3 weeks before they got married. Since Vincenzo was born 23 JAN 1877 and Rosalia was born 23 DEC 1883, it would have been required. At least that is what I have been told. I also understand all Italian men were drafted into the military and their names were pulled from birth records. It was up to the parents to notify the draft board that the son had died or left the country.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might get a copy of these documents? I can't send more money.

Any thoughts would help.

Susan
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

It sound strange to me that they practically "steal" your money... I got some documents from the Commune of Nocera, and there was a (strange) guy who found a lot for me, and I didn't have to pay (I also add that if you have exact names and dates, certificates are free!). But I must also say that all this was very slow. Next time I go there, I can try and ask...

Max Power
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Max Power »

Be careful!
In the city of Naples there is "Rione la Loggetta", between Soccavo and Fuorigrotta.
Usually neapolitans says 'a Luggetta.
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rione_La_Loggetta
Is the zone near San Paolo Stadium if you want to find it over Google Maps