Need help Linking to New Orleans Ustica Italian Imigrants

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kochakola

Need help Linking to New Orleans Ustica Italian Imigrants

Postby kochakola » 16 Feb 2011, 06:18

Sorry for the long message, but this gets kind of complicated. I’ve hit a major snag in trying to piece together my family tree and I’m hoping someone on this site can help me out. My grandfather, Elmo LeBlanc, was born on April 1, 1911 in New Orleans. His father’s name was Frederick J Leblanc and his mother is listed on his birth certificate as Theresa Toliver, but her last name has been crossed out and Talivo is written over it.

In 1919, within months of each other, both Fred and Theresa died and my grandfather and two of his brothers were taken in by his Aunt, Rosie Huppenbauer also of New Orleans. I can confirm this through the 1920 census. Eventually my grandfather ended up in Illinois where he married and raised two children, one of whom is my mother. My mom tells me that as a child they went yearly to visit the Huppenbauer’s and Aunt Lena Prima the mother of Louis and Leon Prima. I found a great site regarding Ustica immigrants to the New Orleans area with lots of family information for Rose and Lena, but I can’t find anything that would link either Fred or Theresa to those families.

The problem is on my great-great grandmother’s side. Her records are so inconsistent I can’t say with confidence I even know her maiden name or race. So, here’s what I have:

Frederick J Leblanc born in New Orleans about 1878 and married around 1896 to a person listed as Theresa Toliver.

1880 Census they are listed in the 6th ward, but Theresa is listed as Thesa. They have one child, Annie, (who is actually Mamie) who was born in 1897, one year after Fred and Theresa married. However, Mamie’s birth certificate lists her parents as Frederick J Leblanc and Letitia Tallivert. Also listed on the 1880 census is a Mary Vicente, Marie Vicente, George Nelson and George Heslin related to the Leblanc’s as Aunt, cousin, adopted brother and cousin respectively. All are listed as mulatto, however all other records for the Leblanc’s list their race as white.

In 1903 Fred and Theresa had a daughter, Martha Rosa. Frederick is listed as the father, however Theresa’s maiden name is listed as Talivet.

In 1909 Freddie Jr is born and Theresa’s maiden name is listed as Talivo.

In 1911 Elmo Phillip is born and Theresa’s maiden name is listed as Tolliver.

I can not find a birth or pre-marriage record for Theresa regardless of what last name I use. I’m trying to figure out how she was related to the Huppenbauers, so any help or hints that can be thrown my way would be greatly appreciated!

Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Need help Linking to New Orleans Ustica Italian Imigrant

Postby Essgee » 16 Feb 2011, 14:32

In the South, the name Taliaferro is pronounced as "Toliver". This is throughout the South, but not sure about New Orleans. But worth a shot. It is also an established name meaning that it was present in the colonies a long time before Louisiana statehood and might not be a name of current immigration the 1880's, but rather a family name of some generations in America.

Have also found that in many of the records of the South, and in New Orleans particularly, that a lot of records list Italians as colored or mulatto rather then white. Many of the Scilian immigrants were much darker then then Anglo Whites, and so I think they were just listed that way because of their looks alone. Later it became known that Italians were indeed "whte" rather then of African descent and the records corrected themselves over time.

Nothing definitive, I know, but I hope this helps just a little to give you more places to search.

And also, the Italian version could well be Teresa, so look for that as well.

Michael31
Master
Master

Postby Michael31 » 16 Feb 2011, 18:37

Michael31
Master
Master

Postby Michael31 » 16 Feb 2011, 18:50

http://www.dastelefonbuch.de/
Toliver 44267 Dortmund
Tolliver 12205 Berlin
Huppenbauer
Heslin 66919 Weselberg

Le Blanc
Prima

sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Postby sazzlynn » 16 Feb 2011, 22:48

The Louisiana Death Index for Orleans Parish has her death certificate as Theresa Toliver LeBlanc, dc 9 Aug 1919, age 41 years.
This would have her born in 1878.

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 17 Feb 2011, 14:28

Rosa Huppenbauer was Rosa Amato. There are two Amato families in New Orleans with daughters named Rose and also a daughter named Lena. Both Rose Huppenbauer and Lena Prima state that their father was born in Italy and mother was born in Louisianna, as Teresa stated in 1900 census. She was listed as born in Mississippi while Rosa and Lena state Louisianna as their place of birth.

In the later census of 1910 Teresa is now listed as born Louisiana and lists both parents came from same place. As usual,the earlier the census, the more likely the info is to be accurate. Now, if she is related to Rosa and Lena, would she be an Amato as well....?

So many questions, so few answers.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”