Name confusion!!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
babs731

Name confusion!!

Postby babs731 » 20 Feb 2011, 00:04

Ok, so I have a marriage record where the mother of the groom is recorded as Ezza M. Crocia. This record is from Canada. From this record, I was able to trace the family to their town in Italy, Pescosansonesco, where I found the groom's birth record. The record had the father's name clearly recorded (and consistent witht he marriage record), but then for the mother it said (very hard to read) Jezzi Maria Croce. Could be some spelling error. The main thing that made me concerned was that there were no other Crocia surnames in the record. I did consider the possibility that the mother was not originally from Pesco, but then I saw Croce used as a first name and Jezzi as a surname, so now I'm completely confused! A recent search of surnames in Pesco came up with Iezzi, but none of the others. Any ideas?

babs731

Re: Name confusion!!

Postby babs731 » 20 Feb 2011, 00:13

I wanteded to add that I see Crocetta as a feminine Italian name, and I'm finding Jezzi as a surname elsewhere in Abruzzo. Could her name be Maria Cruce (short) Jezzi, and they wrote it surname, first name, middle name? And then messed up the name on the marriage certificate? The groom was orphaned at a young age, so maybe he didn't really know his mother's proper name??

maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Name confusion!!

Postby maestra36 » 20 Feb 2011, 00:24

In the current Italian white pages for the town, I see both Iezzi and Croce as surnames.

http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html

The I versus a J is often seen in Italian records. I don't see Ezza as a first name. Ezza is a suffix used in various Italian adjectives such as in the word bellezza-for beauty or beautiful

Return to “Italian Genealogy”