Birth Date Discrepancy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mdyer
Rookie
Rookie

Birth Date Discrepancy

Postby mdyer » 20 Feb 2011, 22:29

I recently obtained a copy of an extract from the register of births in Boiano, Italy, which included information on the birth of my great-grandfather. The birth date provided is February 24, 1886.

This date is different from the date he listed in his naturalization records and WWI draft registration card - March 26, 1886. I'm assuming that he believed his birth date to be March 26th since it's the date he was using on official American documents.

Does anyone have theories why this discrepancy would happen? I was initially speculating that he was actually born in February and then baptized in March, but I've been told that baptisms typically occurred the day of the birth or within the first 48 hours.

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Birth Date Discrepancy

Postby adelfio » 20 Feb 2011, 23:38

American records are normally given by informats so the HUMAN error come into effect and who knows but over the years records get screw up my One great aunt told us her birthday was 1908 but her records showed 1899 she maybe thought iy made her feel younger
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

oilman19
Master
Master

Postby oilman19 » 21 Feb 2011, 09:06

I agree with Marty.
I have found that, until that birth record is found, be suspicious of actual dates provided over the years. I have always attributed the majority of the mistakes to illiteracy. I always use the example of my grandmother. Her marriage annotation was found on the birth act of her older sister that died before grandmother was born and she shared the same given name. They were 2 years apart. Unfortunately, GM could not read the document and neither could her parents. Apparently, the exact date of a birth was a low priority in their lives. I imagine survival was of greater importance.

I hope this helps.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.

mdyer
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mdyer » 21 Feb 2011, 18:57

Thank you, Jim and Marty. I appreciate the responses.

Mike

Return to “Italian Genealogy”