Italian surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ranger088

Italian surname

Postby ranger088 » 26 Feb 2011, 21:09

My Great-great grandfather's name was Peter J. Cruz. He came to America about 1797 with Trappist monks. The monks, on landing, chose Kentucky as their permanent location, the site they selected being in Nelson County, now known as Gethsemane, arriving there when Peter J. Cruz was sixteen years old.
I am trying to find the Italian spelling of his name to continue my genealogy search.
We do not know what area of Italy he was born.
The story he told, was, he and a younger brother being place, when very young by their parents with the "Trappist," a religious order in France, to remain until seven years of age, at which time, in Italy, his native country, all male children were taken from their parents and placed under military instructions, where they remained ready for the service of their country.
During the period is known as the "Reign of Terror." when the Trappists started in their exile, Peter J. Cruz and brother, went and journeyed wherever the religious could find a temporary resting place-the younger Cruz brother dying in Switzerland-until at last the monks set sail for the United States of America.
We are unable to go any further in our research?
Can any one help us in this quest?
Thank you,
Carolyn

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Italian surname

Postby johnnyonthespot » 26 Feb 2011, 21:36

Hi Carolyn,

Quick question: have you tried asking the Trappist monks if they have records which might be helpful? See their website at http://www.monks.org/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”