Looking for info on Mone

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PaulMone

Looking for info on Mone

Postby PaulMone » 13 Aug 2004, 15:45

I would like to talk to anyone who has information on the last name Mone. It's a rare name and I've been having alot of trouble deciphering it's origin.

I tried searching the forums but the search function doesn't seem to work.

ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Looking for info on Mone

Postby ptimber » 13 Aug 2004, 17:04

The surname Mone does not appear in the italian surname dictionary nor in the italian word dictionary. The surname appears to be concentrated in trhe province of Caserta where there are presently 82 persons named Mone (go to www.paginebianche.it and insert mone in 1st line and Camapania in 3rd line and click CERCA). There are 182 Mone surnamed persons who entered the USA at ellis island as immigrants as well. The surname appears to e foreign in origin and there are 5000 references to Mone surname in www.google.com. So go to google and insert Mone surname and begin researching yourself. Peter

PaulMone

Postby PaulMone » 13 Aug 2004, 18:38

Hey Peter thanks for your help. I know my father is from Caserta.. that's where he was born. I have alot of family members still in that area but I had no idea there were 82! I also didn't know that many entered the US. I am mostly trying to find its origin. From what I've researched , I'm lead to belive it's of Scottish origin.

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 13 Aug 2004, 19:25

It could be french or one half of a longer name....its all lost in the mists of time or until you get down to researching in earnest by going to the internet and writing to the town of oriigin in caserta and ask the local library. Go to www.comune.it. When you get to the websitge put in the town name in lower right and click again when the name comes up and youi will have the municipal names and address. Peter

Silva

I am myself a Mone looking for my origins!

Postby Silva » 18 Feb 2005, 17:30

Hi, dear Paul,

My name is Silvana Mone and I am Romanian! I also had this question all the time: where comes my family name, Mone, from! In Romania there is only a single place where you can find this name, the place where my father is born, a place in the mountains, in the west Romania (state Bihor, the village's name is Colesti)!
All Mone have the roots there. In my city, Timisoara (about 250 km far away from this place) there are only 5 or 6 Mone families, 3 are my father and his brothers and the rest of them are cousins from my father. I didn't meet my grandfather Mone, but I understood he was jewish.
That's everything I know about my name and I would be very happy to change information about it, and maybe we'll find the very first origin of this name!
Sincerely yours,
Silvana Mone

kristo

Postby kristo » 19 May 2010, 20:41

I am from Albania, my mothers family had this surname 80 years before. They are orthodox albanian family, i was also wondering from where comes this surname.

Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Seraphina » 20 May 2010, 07:08

Hi There,

I was about to reply that I had never come across the surname Mone in Scotland. However, I checked in the phone books and while there are only a handful listed, there are also some in different areas of England and also Northern Ireland. I couldn't find any in Wales.

Not very helpful, I know.

Seraphina

Return to “Italian Genealogy”