A couple of questions.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

A couple of questions.

Postby bkworm10 » 03 Mar 2011, 16:36

On the two birth acts I recently found, I noticed that the infants were baptized on the same day as their birth. Is that a common practice? One was even born at 4 pm and then baptized. Did the parents (or father) rush over to the church to have him/her baptized right away?

I have found that there are 2 distinct Sarricchio families in Accettura. They both live on the same street, but one family and their descendants are upper class, educated and have Don and Donna in front of their names. The other family (mine) are illiterate and peasant farmers. I have not proven a connection between the two families yet. The ancestor I have furthest back on both families is Rocco Sarricchio and he does not have the title Don in his name. So is it possible that most of the children of Rocco are illiterate and farmers, but one decided to get educated, acquire land, and eventually earn the title of Don?

Thanks, A.

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: A couple of questions.

Postby adelfio » 03 Mar 2011, 17:18

Annette
My family were all Contadino's too it is possible that happen but I would think it would have to do with the dote, Italian dowry, maybe they got some property or money that way and made it. My family that came to the States where all peasant farmers but did very well here and there parents made them to read and write and they were illiterate

Marty
PS Great job on the translating of the records I dont know if you have this website but here
http://script.byu.edu/
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bkworm10 » 03 Mar 2011, 17:42

Great Website Marty - I have never seen that.

While my Sarricchio's were peasant farmers and illiterate, their daughter (my g-grandmother, who was b. 1883) was educated in Italy before she came over to the US. But you make a good point that maybe one of the sons married into an educated family. I will see if I can make that connection.

Thanks, A.

montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby montclaire » 03 Mar 2011, 19:37

Somebody mentioned in another thread that servants would sometimes take the name of their masters, not sure if that might be the case here.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 03 Mar 2011, 19:53

You know its like any family eventually someones gonna marry into a family with some money you know another thing Annette I thought a one time it was the way you address a priest in Italian and Spanish.
Marty
PS I dont know if you have this either Livio told me about it. Its a freeware for viewing old records its called Irfanview I have it and it works great just another tool to have in the arsenal.
http://irfanview.com/

Return to “Italian Genealogy”