Determining leads from 100+ year old Corleone postcards?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Determining leads from 100+ year old Corleone postcards?

Postby jpetrelli » 04 Mar 2011, 03:20

I have been researching my family roots extensively and am faced with few tangible leads left to explore.

Recently, I gained access to old postcards received by my GGM from a friend in Italy. I am trying to determine more information about the sender of the postcard. There is a possibility that the sender is a relative identified in a 1900 US Census, whom was never known of before or since that Census record.

1. Are there any clues from the postcards that would help track down the sender? Can the origination in Italy be determined from the postmarks or the postcards themselves?
2. Can anyone explain what appears to be "Rev." associated with the signature? Is that a title or some other shorthand I am not familiar with?
3. Is there any suggestion that the sender is the same as the individual from the 1900 US Census?
4. Is there anything to conclude from the fact that the postcards are sent from Italy and written in English? For example, that leads me to believe it could be the same individual, who may have been educated in the US and was corresponding with her friend (my GGM), who was American.

Thank you greatly for any thoughts or ideas. I am running out of ideas to explore and am hoping this my uncover new leads or help me identify "Loera Naples" from the 1900 Census.
Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)

jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Determining leads from 100+ year old Corleone postcards?

Postby jpetrelli » 04 Mar 2011, 03:21

A second postcard from the same individual in Italy.
Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 04 Mar 2011, 04:51

On the first card its says exclusive property of M. Frisella, Corleone

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 04 Mar 2011, 06:31

The first postcard was sent from Corleone, Italy, on Feb 4 1909 by Rev Ph Leone. Rev stands for Reverendo=Reverend (priest) and therefore cannot be the same person in the Census which is a female (daughter).

The second card although is a picture of Palermo was sent from NewYork by the same priest on Sept 8 year unreadable.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”