When requesting Death information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

When requesting Death information

Postby ginaruiz1998 » 05 Mar 2011, 22:43

Hello! I would like to continue on my genealogy search and have done quite will with birth and marriage info. I would now like to start requesting death information but I do not know the dates of death for anyone. If I write back to the Comune...would they be willing to do such a broad search?

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: When requesting Death information

Postby liviomoreno » 06 Mar 2011, 06:33

ginaruiz1998 wrote:Hello! I would like to continue on my genealogy search and have done quite will with birth and marriage info. I would now like to start requesting death information but I do not know the dates of death for anyone. If I write back to the Comune...would they be willing to do such a broad search?

This would be on a personal basis... and I would say that the smaller is the comune the more likely they will try to help you.
BTW birth acts some times have an annotation with the death date...

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 06 Mar 2011, 08:52

Death dates certainly fill out the family tree but Italian records do not provide cause of death or any other useful information except names of parents and for most you will have this information. I suggest you restrict your request to the end of the line ancestor for whom the death record would give you another generation.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ginaruiz1998 » 06 Mar 2011, 14:20

Thank you for your replies. I understand....I am merely more interested in knowing if my ancestors died in the Comune and when. I know that in Italy there is no cemetery to visit..but just looking for a general idea where to go and reflect or "pay my respects" so to speak to my Great Great Grandparents. I know that sounds bizarre. Also, I know that my Great Grandparents came to the USA when they were in their late 30's/early40's...in 1902 and 1905..and I always wondered if their parents were still alive when they left....or if they got any word here in the US when they passed. I guess it's more of an emotional thing for me.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”