Looking for DePastino's and Picano's

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
adepastino

Looking for DePastino's and Picano's

Postby adepastino » 17 Aug 2004, 00:24

Hi. I am looking for anyone by any of these last names...

DePastino (which we believe to have been changed from one of the following possibly original names)

a. DePastena
b. DiPastena
c. DiPastina
d. DiPastine
e. DePastina

And, another surname:

Picano.

If you know anyone with one of these last names, please feel free to get ahold of me... and I can give you more info. Thanks.

:P
Amanda DePastino

ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Looking for DePastino's and Picano's

Postby ptimber » 17 Aug 2004, 01:45

The informationm was already furnished to you inanother forum but not lose the intitiative, you can trace the entire family back to 1809 to 1911 if you go to the nearest Family History Library of the Mormon church and rent out the microfilm of the civil records for Castelforte for about $3.00. As you know I already informed you that the surname is Di Pastena and if you go to the other forum you will have all the information about Di Pastena and Picano in Sicily. Peter

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 17 Aug 2004, 06:18

adepastino wrote:Hi. I am looking for anyone by any of these last names...

DePastino (which we believe to have been changed from one of the following possibly original names)

a. DePastena
b. DiPastena
c. DiPastina
d. DiPastine
e. DePastina

And, another surname:

Picano.

If you know anyone with one of these last names, please feel free to get ahold of me... and I can give you more info. Thanks.

:P

Hi: really probable italian exact spelling are Di Pastina (coming from Pontecorvo/Caserta province/Campania region: are an Giuseppe Di Pastina-misspelled Di Pastino- emigrated in 1910; more: Ernesto Di Pastina coming from Sezze Romano/Lazio region, and other italian people but coming from Scotland area... );for Picano surname all persons emigrated in USA coming from same italian region: Campania and Lazio...who tries you???currently Di Pastina persons are only in Lazio region. ..Only 20 families in all Italy living http://www.paginebianche.it/pb/cerca?bt ... io&x=0&y=0
regards, suanj

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 17 Aug 2004, 07:22

Suanj the family name is Di Pastena from castelforte, provincia latina because in another forum she indicated this was the town of origin for the family and she alsao said that there was some evidence that the mothers surname Picano was in Sicily and thats why I gave her the only Picano in all of Sicily as well. I had a bit more information than you so thats why your in the vicinity of Lazio. Peter

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 17 Aug 2004, 15:23

ptimber wrote:Suanj the family name is Di Pastena from castelforte, provincia latina because in another forum she indicated this was the town of origin for the family and she alsao said that there was some evidence that the mothers surname Picano was in Sicily and thats why I gave her the only Picano in all of Sicily as well. I had a bit more information than you so thats why your in the vicinity of Lazio. Peter

Ok Peter, I not know another forum...thanks for explanation, kisses, suanj

adepastino

Re: Looking for DePastino

Postby adepastino » 29 Dec 2005, 08:08

Thanks you guys... I have not been on this forum for quite a while, but I have found out some things about this family.. As you know, DePastino (as is my husband's family's spelling in the USA) is a very hard name to learn the truth about. We have found some evidence from the Town Vital Records of Southington/Harthford, Conneticut, that my husband's great-great grandparents were the ones that came over from Naples to Ellis Island. Apparently, from family information, the relatives that came over, were indeed from Castelforte, and the names of the great-great grandparents were, Damiano DePastino and Angela Di Stefano. That's only one side of the family. Then we have the Picano's (the DePastino's and Picano's married and had children, therefore, my husband being of both blood lines), who I was told by our grandpa that his mother was from Naples. Now, whether or not the Picano's originated in Sicilia, they apparently moved inland to Naples and stayed and that is where the family came from as well, coming over on a different ship to Ellis Island a bit later, around 1902 or so. We are not trying so much to find the lineage to these names as much as we want to find out the exact spelling of my husband's surname, in order to change it back to the original. (From what we have heard, the grandfather that came over had a debt he couldn't pay and he took his family and escaped to America... probably changing the last name a bit in order to escape certain death. Another thing we have found to be possibly true, Angela DiStefano, the grandmother that came over with her husband, was related to the King of Savoy.) I really hope to find out if there are other relatives in Italy, still alive. There would have to be if the grandfather's other part of the family never came with him. I don't know if we will ever know. Wish me luck.

Amanda DePastino
Amanda DePastino

tonydippa

Postby tonydippa » 20 Mar 2009, 13:50

My name is Tony Di Pastena aged 53, 2nd generation Australian born of Italian migrants Giusseppe and Antoinetta Di Pastena. My parents were both born in 1930 in Caserta. They came to Australia in 1952. My Dads fathers (my grandfather) name was Antonio Di Pastena who was born in Caserta Italy and lived there all his life. So Antonio Di Pastena had three siblings two other brothers and a sister. I beleive that they were the first generation of Di Pastena's in the region.

Look forward to any replies and/or responses from relatives, associated families and interested parties.

Tony Di Pastena
Melbourne
Australia

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 20 Mar 2009, 15:05

Dear Tony when people say their family comes from a Provincial capital such as Caserta, it springs to mind that this is what most immigranst say when they identify the area they come from but actually their town of origin in in one of the smaller towns or villages inthe province of Caserta. This is imporant because most records are housed in each "comune" or town or village. Of course for some people Caserta is their actual city of origin.

If you read the short description on helpful Italian Genealogy Research information you will be poised to traceyour oots almost immediately back to 1809 covering allBriths,marriages and deaths as well as military conscription and other data.

Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/italy_tools.html and should you have any further questions or inquiries, in need of addresses or directions please get back to us.

If there is a Momron church family History library near your home most likely you will find Microfilm records for the town of origin be it Caserta or some other provincial town for all BMD's back to 1809

In the event that you wish to trace your family entry into OZ then you can also go to OzNational Archives at www.naa.gov. The majority of passenger records held by the national archives of Oz date from 1924 while immigrants before 1924 are held by the State government archives in the state in which the person arrived.

Get back to us if you wish. =Peter=
~Peter~

TonyD

Postby TonyD » 08 Dec 2009, 19:48

I am new to this site and saw it when I was doing a general search of my last name which is DePastina and was DiPastina. My father was from a town in Italy called Frosinone, Provence of Frosinone in region of Lazio. I have spent a great deal of time in Italy and have been able to trace the family name to a town called Torrice which confirms what my father always told me was "the family birthplace". It seems the records in the town church and monstery I went to go back some 700+ years with numerous DiPastina(s) and DiPastena(s) listed. Based on my reading of the church docements, it seems that somewhere along the line the parish priest or priests changed the i to an e in some of the names in the "tina" part. I base this on the fact that when you look at the baptismal registry, brothers or sisters from the same parents have diffrent spellings to their last names. More thank likely the priest just decided what the spelling was based on the parent's pronunciation and more than likely the parents of the individuals could not read or write and therefore just accepted the last name. It seems that however the last name was spelled continued to follow the individuals because when you look at the marriage documents, confirmation records and death records they are spelled the same of the baptismal certificate. Most of the occupations are listed as farmers or "cattlemen", which means live stock herders. What is interesting is that if you go back far enough the "category" of the family changes from raza arinista to raza se'metica which is the same as saying that the family is of semetic origins ( most likely jewish, phoenician or lebanese.) and were later converts to Catholicism. In addition, I would not place too much stock in Italian civil records prior to 1890. I have found numrous erros in the records. Also, until the unification of Italy, Provincia di Frosinone was part of the Papal States and all official documents were church records. There was no civil Italian authority and most of these records were not converted to the Italian Civil State. Well, I have gone on too long. Hope this helps

Return to “Italian Genealogy”