Need help with Marriage record - Geraci/Pulvino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
annekellergeraci

Need help with Marriage record - Geraci/Pulvino

Postby annekellergeraci » 16 Mar 2011, 02:12

I need help with what to do next. I have been looking at LDS microfilms for the last month to research Antonio Geraci and Francesca Pulvino, who immigrated with their 4 kids to Rochester, NY. I have the Ellis Island record, I have 4 census records in Rochester, and this week I found the marriage record for them in February, 1874. The problem is, the marriage record is too muddy to read and I can't make out either the age of the father (Antonio) or the mother's names.

I think that the father's age is 29 (ventinovo) on the marriage record, but since there are at least 2 or 3 children each year born in this town with the name "Antonio Geraci", I need to narrow down the year he was born. Here are my other clues:

- He died in Rochester in 1928, which would make him 83, assuming he actually was 29 in 1874 (I guess that's reasonable, but a little old)
- When his first child was born in Dec, 1874, he is listed as 30 (consistent)
- When his second child is born in Feb 1878, he is listed as 27 (1851)
- Third child in 1880: listed as 30 (1850)
- Fourth child in 1882: listed as 34 (1848)
- Immigration to Ellis Island in 1891 listed as 37 (1854)
- 1900 Census listed as 44 (1856)
- 1905 census listed as 60 (1845)
- 1910 census listed as 60 (1850)
- 1920 census listed as 75 (1845)

So, here's my question. What do I do next?

A. I've looked through all the Allegati records that have the "all-in-one" records of marriages with the birth certificates for the bride and groom. Those records are spotty. I found only one or two for the year 1874, although I know there were about 100 marriages that year.

B. I think his parents names are Guiseppe Geraci and Lucia La Placa (if I'm reading that right). I could look through the birth records from 1845 to 1855 to see what I can find. That's a big time period to wade through.

C. I could send over to Valledolmo to ask them to send me the marriage record, but if they just send me this muddy copy, I won't be much farther along that I am right now.

D. Should I send over to Valledolmo to the church (there's only one) and ask for any information they have on the marriage?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Need help with Marriage record - Geraci/Pulvino

Postby pink67 » 16 Mar 2011, 07:27

In my opinion the handwritten that you pointed is:

Geraci Antonio contadino di anni ventidue celibe residente in Valle d'Olmo figlio del fu Giuseppe e della vivente La Placa Laura/Lucia? residente in Valle d'Olmo

e Pulvino Francesca di anni 23 nubile residente in Valle d'Olmo figlia del vivente Giovanni contadino e di Lo Jacono???? Anna Maria residente in Valle D'Olmo

Geraci Antonio farmer age 22 single resident in Valle D'Olmo son of the lte Giuseppe and of the living La Placa Laura/Lucia?? resident in Valle D'Olmo

and Pulvino Francesca age 23 single resident in Valle d'Olmo daughter of the living Giovanni farmer and of Lo Jacono??? Anna Maria resident in Valle D'Olmo.

Laura

Return to “Italian Genealogy”