Sing Sing Prison records - dead end

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
LeandraCat
Veteran
Veteran

Sing Sing Prison records - dead end

Postby LeandraCat » 17 Mar 2011, 12:55

In the 1905 NY State Census for Sing Sing Prison, I found Antonio Schiro. He is a Grocery Store Salesman from Brooklyn, 33 years old, naturalized citizen, Italian origin.

I think he might be one of my husband's relatives I could not find in the 1900-1910 Census records with his wife and daughters.

I called Sing Sing, they transferred me to archives, who transferred me to Albany. In Albany archives I was told there is a volume from Sing Sing available, but it is sorted by Admission or Execution Date, not by name.

I called Kings County (Brooklyn) Criminal Court and was told they did not have records going back that far and even if they did, they would not tell me anything. Nice!

Anyway, what are some other places can I find a record for Antonio Schiro being convicted and sent to Sing Sing? I am Northern New Jersey and am not really looking to make a trip to Albany any time soon.

Thanks so much!

Julia

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Sing Sing Prison records - dead end

Postby johnnyonthespot » 17 Mar 2011, 13:07

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

LeandraCat
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Sing Sing Prison records - dead end

Postby LeandraCat » 17 Mar 2011, 13:12

Hi! Thanks for that link to FindAGrave, but I have been there already :)
This particular Antonio is not my Antonio. I found a record of his wife and son and they are not who I am looking for...

The Google Books note from Chicago is something I also saw, but why would he be on trial in Chicago if he lived in Brooklyn? Maybe because he committed the crime in Chicago?

That Google find about an Italian Chauffer is pretty interesting too...I'll have to check that out!

THANK YOU!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”