Louis Patierno Savignano, Detroit/Kalamazoo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cyokeeffe

Louis Patierno Savignano, Detroit/Kalamazoo

Postby cyokeeffe » 18 Mar 2011, 13:46

I am looking for information on the wife and children of Louis Patierno (often spelled Pateirno). He was born in Savignano April 27, 1883. He went to Detroit, Michigan where he registered for the draft in 1917. The registration form says that his wife and children are in Italy in 1917. He returned to Italy (not sure when), then moved back to Michigan (Kalamazoo) around 1942. I have a copy of his death certificate in Kalamazoo in 1963. I have lots of information about his parents and siblings. My question is what happened to his wife and children? They appear to have stayed in Italy (no record of them in the US that I can find). I don't know if they were in Savignano or somewhere else in Italy, but I have searched the birth & marriage records in Savignano up to 1910 and they're not there. (He could have married after 1910.) According to his death certificate he did not serve in the military.

I'm not sure where to look next. Any ideas?

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Louis Patierno Savignano, Detroit/Kalamazoo

Postby adelfio » 18 Mar 2011, 14:19

Welcome to the site How about a little more info wifes name,and what Savignano there are a couple in Italy? Do you have the ship manifest when he immigrated to the states

Marty

cyokeeffe

Postby cyokeeffe » 18 Mar 2011, 14:43

I don't know his wife's name. I know he was married because he said as much on his draft registration in 1917 and he was noted as a widower on his death certificate in 1963. He was born in Savignano Irpino/Savignano di Puglia in Avellino - parents Carlo Luigi Patierno and Mariangela Marinaccio.

Louis/Luigi arrived in New York on the SS Bolivia on May 13, 1897 (at only 14 years of age). He doesn't appear to have any other family with him.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 18 Mar 2011, 15:45

I see his brother Nicholas Patierno as on the draft card for WW1 you ever look on the end for info on the family. How did you get his town of birth death certificate?
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 18 Mar 2011, 15:48

Hi, I made a little search and in fact Louis declaring next of kin the brother Nicola Patierno in Boston, MA ( by Louis WWI draft registration card).

It is possible that the Luigi (Louis) married in USA and after the wife back in Italy? Seeming that in 1906 Luigi was in NY with Nicola brother, if my search is correct... Becase on WWI draft registration card, Luigi/Louis declaring next of kin in USA the brother Nicola in Boston, MA; Nicola was the son of Carlo Patierno and Mariangela Marinaccio that with daughter Angelina ( she married at Romeo Minicucci in USA) came in USA joining at sons Nicola and Luigi in New York

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0007

the trip in 1906 of Carlo Patierno was the last; he already in USA before ...

my idea is that Louis married in USA, and for some reason the wife and children came back in Italy, for that you cannot find the marriage in Savignano di Puglia civil records, because most probably the wife was no born in Savignano di Puglia also, and when back in Italy she asked the marriage registration only in own birth commune and not also in Savignano...
in 1900 census, Luigi Paterno was resident with Carlo Patierno ( father) in Rye, Rockingham, New Hampshire:

1900 United States Federal Census
about Carlo Paterno Name: Carlo Paterno
Home in 1900: Rye, Rockingham, New Hampshire
[Rye, Rockingham, New Hampshire]
Birth Date: Dec 1854 ( maybe born before)
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1898
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Marital Status: Married

about Luigi Paterno
Name: Luigi Paterno
Birth Date: Sep 1881( wrong)
Immigration Year: 1895
Marital Status: Single

in same census:
about Otavio Paterno Name: Otavio Paterno
Birth Date: Jun 1846
Immigration Year: 1896
Marital Status: Married

maybe brother or relative of Carlo Patierno.
I am sure that the census is abt your Louis.

Luigi brother, married in Boston:
Nicolino Patierno
birth: 1881 ( abt)— , , Italy
parents: Carlo Patierno, Maria A Marinaccio
spouse: Grosina Lotido ( Giuseppina/Josephine Lotito..?)
marriage: 26 Apr 1908; 1908 Apr 26 — Boston, , Massachusetts
2 sons was born in Boston:
Henry William Patierno 21 Jan 1909
Nicholas Joseph Patierno 12 Oct 1910

I believe that your Louis married in USA, the problem is to find the marriage record, so knowing the wife name we can have a better idea ...
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

cyokeeffe

Postby cyokeeffe » 18 Mar 2011, 16:32

You are amazing! Thank you for your help. Nicolino (Luigi's brother) was my great grandfather. He and his wife, Giuseppa Lotito, had 8 children. One died in infancy and until now I did not know his name - Henry William Patierno. They moved to Connecticut after Nicolas Joseph was born. Luigi listed his brother in Boston as next of kin on his draft registration, but by that time Nicolino had already moved.

You are correct in Carlo and Ottavio being brothers. Also, Luigi's sister, Angelina, was married twice. Her second husband was Ubald Abazia.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”