Question about names

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sorrydude

Question about names

Postby sorrydude » 18 Mar 2011, 19:41

I know that it was common, especially in southern Italy to name a child the same as an older sibling who had died.

Even if the birth record only showed one given name, didn't most people have at least two given names? I've seen birth records that just say "Nicola" or "Maria" but later in life the marriage document says something like "Nicolantonio" or "Maria Carolina" just as examples.

So for my real question in the case of a child that shared a name with a dead sibling, is it possible that they would be known by a different name? From my example above, Nicola might have been known as Antonio by family even though in official documents he was Nicola or Nicolantonio. Or for Maria, maybe family called her Carolina but on official documents she was Maria or Maria Carolina.

Another question is how often was only one given name registered on the birth certificate but in fact the child had serveral given names?

Thanks for any help.

Justin

oilman19
Master
Master

Re: Question about names

Postby oilman19 » 18 Mar 2011, 21:30

So for my real question in the case of a child that shared a name with a dead sibling, is it possible that they would be known by a different name? From my example above, Nicola might have been known as Antonio by family even though in official documents he was Nicola or Nicolantonio. Or for Maria, maybe family called her Carolina but on official documents she was Maria or Maria Carolina.

Justin

I have seen multiple names get shortened but never lengthened. I have seen mistakes where Carolina became Catrina (just an example). I have not seen names get added although I suppose it could happen at baptism.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.

Romano1970
Master
Master

Postby Romano1970 » 18 Mar 2011, 21:41

I have not seen names lengthened but I can attest to siblings born after a death taking the name of the child who died.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 19 Mar 2011, 00:29

So for my real question in the case of a child that shared a name with a dead sibling, is it possible that they would be known by a different name?

In my experience, a child named after a deceased child generally used the same given name. As always, customs can vary from region to region.

Another question is how often was only one given name registered on the birth certificate but in fact the child had several given names?

Given names can differ between a baptismal record and a birth record. In general, the birth record might not include all given names. This seems to be especially true during the early period of civil records. Perhaps there was some resistance to mandatory civil records or maybe they weren't considered as important as the church records.
John Armellino

nannyjoyce

Postby nannyjoyce » 19 Mar 2011, 04:20

My mother's name was Della Theresa (of Theresa) Her sister Theresa died before my mother was born.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 19 Mar 2011, 06:44

nannyjoyce wrote:My mother's name was Della Theresa (of Theresa) Her sister Theresa died before my mother was born.

That's weird! I've never seen such a name: Della Theresa... It doesn't sound Italian! Was she also baptized with that name?

Francios

Postby Francios » 19 Mar 2011, 07:21

YES, a younger child is named after the a dead older child. This was the case of my father. My Father had an older brother Carlo, who died at the age of 2. When my Father was born approx 10 yrs later he was also named Carlo. My father though was legally named Carlo, but was always called Frank. Later when my Father married my Mother and got his legal birth certificate did he even know his legal name was Carlo and not Frank. He then had his legal name changed to Frank.

nannyjoyce

Postby nannyjoyce » 19 Mar 2011, 13:27

Yes, my mother was Baptised; Della Theresa in the Roman Catholic church.

In Italian, della, means of, or of the . My grandmother was pregnant with my mother when Theresa who was 2 died. Their are many women here in U.S.A. with the first name "Della". We have a well known actress named Della Reese.

My youngest daughter took the name Della for Confirmation.

St.Della was St.Gregory the great's mother.

An now for the humor, my mother's name was "Della Gallella". Her father was from Rome & her mother was from Calabria.

"HAPPY ST. JOSEPH'S DAY"

sorrydude

Thank you

Postby sorrydude » 19 Mar 2011, 15:14

Everyone, thank you for helping to answer my question.
I had never thought to check for a difference between the birth records and the baptismal records.
The reason I asked this question is because my 2nd great grandmother was known and is remembered as Camilla.
Myself and 2 of my cousins have independently at different times sent requests for either her birth certificate or marriage license.
The most resent request was made more than 5 months ago and the first was was probably more than a year ago, but there has never been a reply.
We haven't had any problem getting responses and the documents for other members of the family, only when we try to get her documents.
So at this point, we have kind of hit a road block with her.

Information we do know about her:

She was married to Nicola Trivilino.
We know of them having three children; Giovanni born in 1886, Giuseppe born in 1889 and Adele born in 1893.
All three children were born in Lanciano and although we don't have Nicola's birth certificate, all of his family that we know about is from Lanciano.
We know that she was related to a Rosa Staniscia (if we have the right Rosa), born in 1856 in Scorciosa.
They were either sisters (probably not) or cousins (looks more likely).
Rosa's father, Camillo, had two wives both with the maiden name Angellotti.
She appears to be the only daughter from either marriage and was named after her paternal grandmother.
Camillo's brother, Loreto Alfonso also married a woman with the maiden name Angellotti.
Loreto Alfonso and his wife four sons and four daughters. Two of the daughters were named Maria and two were named Margarita.
The second daughter named Margarita born in 1851 in Scorciosa is the only one to have survived childhood.
Camillo and Loreto Alfonso's paternal grandmother was Camilla.
I know it is stretching it, but maybe the second Margarita was known to family members as Camilla even though her legal name was Margarita.

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 20 Mar 2011, 14:05

Okay, this is weird. In doing research on my family I just found Della Monica Primavera wife of Aniello Rescigno b. 1730. Approx. birth date for her is 1734.

They lived in Roccapiemonte, Salerno, Campania.

My hope of finding birth records for many of my older family members born in the 1700s is gone since there are no church records available for this area with the destruction of the church and its holdings. I have only been able to locate many of the death records of those 1800-1850.

My tree will have many missing birth records as a result but I will at least know many of my great greats are. I was amazed at the longevity of many of these folks. Have been lucky enough to find many who lived into their late 80s and early 90s. The younger generations would consider themselves lucky to have lived past age 40 or 50.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

Return to “Italian Genealogy”