FOIA Request for Grandmothers Soc Sec App

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Romano1970
Master
Master

FOIA Request for Grandmothers Soc Sec App

Postby Romano1970 » 21 Mar 2011, 20:56

I recently requested my Grandmothers social security applicationfrom FOIA. I recieved a letter back about a month after stating that I needed to put my request through Social Security. My question is that about 6 mos earlier i requested my fathers soc sec through FOIA and I recieved the information. Is it a possibility that the person who assisted me did not know where to go? Or do you suspect depts have changed responsibilities.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Re: FOIA Request for Grandmothers Soc Sec App

Postby kontessa » 22 Mar 2011, 14:42

The Freedom of Information Act is what allows you access to certain records. (It's not an agency. :) ) Go back in your records - look at the mailing envelope, or see who you mailed your first payment to - in order to verify the agency and address where you need to send this request. Hopefully, you will see that you did send it to the SS Administration. (Unless I am totally mistaken, too and there IS a new place to submit requests! :lol: ).

Romano1970
Master
Master

Postby Romano1970 » 22 Mar 2011, 14:46

H Kontessa, When I did the first one it was all on line. Payment and all. I will look through the pages from the fax that I also had to send and I will let you know

Funny thing. When they told me to contact Soc Sec , I did. I just recieved an email back stating that I should go to my local office for the request. Why do I have it in my head that when I attempt that they are going to tell me that I need to go online to do it......LOL..

See below for the email from Soc Sec.

Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration.

You may want to contact your local Social Security office to see about obtaining this information.

You can obtain the location and other information about your local Social Security office by calling our toll-free telephone number, 1-800-772-1213, or by accessing the following Internet address:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/locator

People who are hearing-impaired may call our “TTYâ€
Michael Romano

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 22 Mar 2011, 19:03

Hmmm...could it be that your father's records are so recent as to be issued by the local office? Well, all you can do is go to the place they've recommended and see what they say. I ordered my GF's and GGF's through the SS Administration, but both were quite old. Maybe Johnnyonthe spot or someone else here has more insight, and will post some additional advice. In the meantime, I'll have a look at the website.

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 22 Mar 2011, 19:24

http://www.ssa.gov/foia/html/foia_guide.htm

That's the link to the page we are talking about. I have no idea why they may have referred you to a local office instead of processing the request themselves unless you asked for some other information by mistake? Further down the page they discuss 'other' requests, etc..

Either way, I would contact a local office and request the information. If they don't give it to you, try to submit another request in writing and include a summary of what you've done already trying to get the record. Is your GM deceased? You did mention that you already obtained your F's record, is he also deceased? Not sure it even matters, though. Could just be a mistake on their part. If at first you don't succeed..... :)

Romano1970
Master
Master

Postby Romano1970 » 22 Mar 2011, 19:58

Ok so.....after twenty minutes on the phone tryng to explain to the person at Soc Sec that I wanted to obtain a copy of the social security application that my Father and my Grandmother filled out in order to get thier numbers, she relized what I was looking for and was able to direct me to a form called SSA-711.

This will let me obtain each original application from both relative. $27.00 each
Michael Romano

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 23 Mar 2011, 08:23

Romano1970 wrote:Ok so.....after twenty minutes on the phone tryng to explain to the person at Soc Sec that I wanted to obtain a copy of the social security application that my Father and my Grandmother filled out in order to get thier numbers, she relized what I was looking for and was able to direct me to a form called SSA-711.

This will let me obtain each original application from both relative. $27.00 each

Yup, that information and a link to the form are on the page from the SS site I linked above. Glad you finally found someone to help you!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”