looking for information on my grandmother

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dedee152

looking for information on my grandmother

Post by dedee152 »

I am new to this genealogy website and would like some help. I am trying to find information on my grandparents. My grandmother Maria Carmella Iannaccone was born on december 20, 1893 -1896. She was born in Avellino Italy. Her mothers name was Angela Marie Iannaccone maiden name Minyone. Her fathers name was Amato Iannaccone. She passed away on April 10, 1944 in Paterson New Jersey. I would like to find out how and when she came here to America. She married my grandfather Pasquale Cosmevo Spinoso. He was born April 14, 1895.He was born in Bari Italy. His Mothers name was Filamena Spinoso I don't know her maiden name (but would like to find out). His fathers name was Natalo Spinoso. Any and all information on them would be greatly appreciated. My email address is dedee152@hotmail.com my name is Judy Raulerson.
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: looking for information on my grandmother

Post by ptimber »

The cardinal rule in genealogy is to work backwards. Accordinly starting with ellisisland and then going back to Italy for infromation either directly or thru the family history Library of the Mormon church nearest your home for research civil records in order to trace your family back to 1809 which is usally the earliest records available in southern Italy. The ellis island website will give you year of birth and town of origin. Please remeber that in Italy all records, documents and history arer in the town of origin. When you say your grandmotherr, for instance, was born in Avellino, it may be that she was born in the province of Avellino and consequenly her documents and records will be in that town and not Avellino. Please bear this in mind when checking the ellis island recocords if they came into the USA thru NYC. If you have any questions about your research please get back to me. I cxan direct you to approrpiorate websites and addresses and form letters in Italian. If you wish to learn about conducting your own genealogy research then purchase a book titled Italian Genealogical records by trafford R. Cole which is an easy read and will enable you to seek out the information you require. Peter
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

ptimber wrote:The cardinal rule in genealogy is to work backwards. Accordinly starting with ellisisland and then going back to Italy for infromation either directly or thru the family history Library of the Mormon church nearest your home for research civil records in order to trace your family back to 1809 which is usally the earliest records available in southern Italy. The ellis island website will give you year of birth and town of origin. Please remeber that in Italy all records, documents and history arer in the town of origin. When you say your grandmotherr, for instance, was born in Avellino, it may be that she was born in the province of Avellino and consequenly her documents and records will be in that town and not Avellino. Please bear this in mind when checking the ellis island recocords if they came into the USA thru NYC. If you have any questions about your research please get back to me. I cxan direct you to approrpiorate websites and addresses and form letters in Italian. If you wish to learn about conducting your own genealogy research then purchase a book titled Italian Genealogical records by trafford R. Cole which is an easy read and will enable you to seek out the information you require. Peter
Now Peter,

Why can't you answer everyone this way. This was one of your best posts ever except for the grammar and spelling.

Now that information will help someone.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear A.H. this forum is designed to teach people to conduct their own research not to be a source of business for you. Peter
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

ptimber wrote:Dear A.H. this forum is designed to teach people to conduct their own research not to be a source of business for you. Peter
Hi Peter,

Its a shame you stooped so low as to curse me out. I do feel so sorry for you.

I have not been nasty to you at all. I'm still trying to understand why you are so nasty to me and doing this to me. People have even wrote to me privately asking why you harrass me so much.

The bottom line is, I'm here just like you, giving our "free advice". I've helped people on this website as well as through their personal emails. I'm not doing business, I'm teaching them there are other avenues to use in order to conduct their research and not just us the Italian Telephone Book and Ellis Island records that you always talk about.

Genealogy deals with many different types of information, documentation, facts, sources, etc. You need all these avenues in order to trace your family back properly.

Just sending someone a letter and hoping for the best, is not Genealogy.

THIS IS AN "OPEN" FORUM AND EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO EXPRESS THEIR OPINION AS WELL AS GIVE OUT ADVICE. And not just you!

Despite the name calling, I do wish you a good day.
Try to Smile for me!:)
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

YES BUT WE DO NOT CHARGE PEOPLE NOR DO WE DIRECT THEM TO SOURCES WHERE THEY MAY HAVE TO PAY MONEY!!! Peter
dedee152

Post by dedee152 »

Peter, thank you for responding to my message. I would appreciate any information you can give me. If you have any websites for me to go to for information please tell me. I have been to the Ellis Island web site. But I could'nt find anything on my grandmother. I did find one Maria Iannaccone. But she traveled with her mother. My grandmother did not have her mother her in America. Also it showed she went to Boston. My grandmother lived in New Jersey. Please let me know anywhere that I can go for more information Thank You.......Judy Raulerson
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I am trying to save you about $60.00 for applying to the Social security people for copies of your parents SS-5 original applications which will show all the vital data. If your not in a hurry and want to save some money then you can go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Spinoso in the first line and BA (for province of Bari) in the third line and clcik CERCA. This will bring up 8 persons in the city of bari and two surrounding villages with that surname who may possibly be related to you. The listing will show upwith their full name and address and telephone number. Inso far as your grandmother is concerned there is just one Minione (correct spelling) in the entire region of Campania and may also be related to her since Iannaccone is in excess of 200 persons listed. To write a letter to a potential relative in italian can be accomplished in a form letter which I can furnish you with. The other simultaneous thing you can do is to go to www.Nara.gov and select immigration and then select "obtain forms" and request for 81 which covers all entries into the USA for a record of their arrival, I suspect they may have come in thru Philadelphia, Baltimore or Boston fopr reasons we do not know about. Please let me know what you want to do. If you wish to seee the social security death records for both grandparetns go to www.SSDI.genealogy.rootsweb.com and put in their individual names and way over to the write clcik on the SS-5 in blue which is the form letter for the application. Please let me know what I can do for you. Peter