Italy help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
springdal

Italy help

Postby springdal » 26 Mar 2011, 00:54

Does anyone have any way for me to find info from family descending from Italy. I am trying to find the name of the parents of Agostino Gialanella, born 22 July 1884; died 18 Dec 1969; married Antonia Caruso; 15 Oct 1909 he arrived in USA from Italy, on the Mendoza. He had 6 children, Alfonse, Angelo, Lena, Ralph, Mary, and Helen. He was a tailor. This is as far as I have gotten, basically, and am trying desperately to find out about his parents. I believe his father's name was Alfonse Gialanella.

Thanks for any help.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Italy help

Postby johnnyonthespot » 26 Mar 2011, 01:07

The ship's manifest should give you Agostino's place of birth or, at the least, his last residence in Italy. With that info and his date of birth, it is a simple matter to contact the comune where he was born and request his birth act.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Postby DebiHarbuck » 26 Mar 2011, 01:56

The 1909 manifest gives his place of birth and last residence as Guardia Lombardi.
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata

springdal

Postby springdal » 26 Mar 2011, 08:14

Thank you, but I have that info. I am just wondering if anyone might have info about this family, specifically. I guess I am asking wrong...so thanks anyway.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 26 Mar 2011, 08:42

It is unlikely that anyone here would have info on your ancestors in Italy; possible, but unlikely.

Your best choice by far is to use the information given in your other threads here to contact Comune di Guardia Lombardi and request the birth and marriage acts. There is generally no charge for this service other than the cost of sending a letter to Italy and possibly a few euros for copying and mailing charges although most comuni do not charge at all.

Another option is to visit your local Family History Center (typically within the nearest Mormon / Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints church) and order microfilms of civil records from Guardia Lombardi, a list of which is at http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... uardia+L++

This route is not for the faint of heart, especially if you have never worked with these records before.

In the time it takes to order and receive the microfilms, you may already have a response from the comune...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”